Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.376 Steyr: new guy, new gun...
 Login/Join

posted
Howdy folks. Glad to be aboard! I've been combing through the archives to discover Anything in regards to the .376 Steyr Prohunter I just purchased through CDNN ($449), and it seemed to me that the material was somewhat dated now, and there might be more current load development that has taken place. Is BL-C still the 'happening' powder? Anyone using anything else; perhaps Vihtavoury? I've got a bunch of Hawk 270gr RN that I'll be working with as well as Hornady Brass, RCBS dies, Lg-Mag primers... Oh, and what about neck sizing vrs. full-length sizing?
Thanks,
RC

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out the Hodgdon data? 376 data

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
RC,

Welcome to AR, and to the .376 Steyr ProHunter. I have one as well.

Eric Ching has some data for 300 grain loads developed in his Steyr Scout (19" barrel).

http://african-hunter.com/the__376_steyr.htm

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
What is your hands on opinion of this round? We have been considering having one built.

[ 03-03-2003, 06:25: Message edited by: Sniper ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gents,
the 376 likes RL15, Varget, and Benchmark.. my best has been benchmark, with 225gr hornadys... 2950, out of a 24" barrel.

Guys, I am telling you, this round is a STEAL

jeffe

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard RC!
Congratulations. You just got the best deal in the rifle world today.

I've gotten great results with Varget for 225 and 270 grain Hornady SP bullets. I haven't worked up a 300 grainer yet, but have a couple of boxes of Partitions standing by.

The smallest 100 yard group I've ever had came from my 20" prohunter with 225 grain Hornadys and a max load of Varget. That's pretty impressive because it beat out my Steyr Tactical heavy barrel .308 for the honors. I took the .376 on a mule deer trip last fall and while I didn't shoot a deer with it, I did shoot the head off a chukar at about 60 yards and ate the rest for dinner.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another convert. Welcome to the fraternity. You will really like this gun. Try that load of Elmos you will like it. I used that one as well as borrowed Slingsters 300 grn load in Africa. It impressed the hell out of everyone.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Could anyone provide a link to CDNN that contains a listing of the firearms available. I've checked-out CDNN Investments Internet Superstore, but only found components.

I have a Prohunter in .376, and I really like it. I may be interested in another at the $449 price.

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote