New
Find
Notify
Tools

shelf life
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i broke a decapping pin on a 308 die this weekend. Figured i had a spare one or two in a drawer. I did, but is there a shelf life on decapping pins?

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No!

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
What other kind of old goodies hiding in that drawer? I remember going to that Herters when I was a kid. Just down from the Corn Palace. tu2

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shelf life of hardened steel decap pins is at least 45 years if stored in a controlled temp and kept out of direct sunlight. At least some of mine have.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
As Jim said, storage conditions are the key. If you live in a humid climate near the sea and store in an open environment, I have seen decapping pins go bad in a matter of days. Since you are a long ways from the ocean, the only thing you have to worry about is the salt on the roads. Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to order a bunch of stuff frpm Herters when I was in Jr. High and High School.

I still have some of their fishing rod blanks I ordered and wrapped myself.

In fact I still have 2 refund checks from them made out to me for less than one dollar when I had overpaid for an order a few cents... Big Grin

Now that Cabellas is selling "Herters" ammo I wonder if I can cash them there. Confused rotflmo

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote