New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 loading problem with Accurate powders
 Login/Join

<pintail>
posted
Can anyone suggest an accurate load using Accurate 4350 or3100 using 100grn sp bullets,the best that I can get is two inches ar 100yds,usualy worse than that,I,ve checked the scope &mounts and the rifle(Tikka),is capable of better than that,any suggestions please

<Patrick_D>
posted
Pintail,

Please give us a little more to go on. (Also please don�t be insulted by any questions � but they need to be asked!)

First, has the rifle ever shot better groups with other ammunition � have you tried factory, for example. How many rounds has the gun shot, and have you cleaned the barrel recently. Are all the screws tightened down on the action? Can you get someone else to shoot it and see if their results are in any way different.

With the bullet choice you have in mind, you need a fairly fast twist in .243 � what�s the twist rate in the Tikka?

I assume that you will be using the gun on deer with that bullet. If not, could you try a lighter bullet. I have had good results from 87gr Hornady vmax, and they blow foxes up really well. However I use VihtaVuori powder in .243, not Accurate.

Finally, I don�t think you should really expect anyone to recommend a load to you without at least knowing who made the bullets you are using.

Patrick

<Reloader66>
posted
With so little information it is difficult to help you. You can not force feed any rifle a powder it does not like. With the bullet at the proper seating depth and the right powder it is possible to get 1/2 MOA three shot groups. Most 243 rifles have a 1 in 10" twist rate to shoot all weight bullets well. The rifle should at least give you MOA groups with the 100 grain bullet. I have fired the 243 for years and always had very good accuracy results. here are some powders you could try. H-414, REL-22, H-4831, Rel-19, IMR-4831, IMR-4350, N-160, IMR-7828, WW- 760. I would try H-4831 or IMR 4831 first. You have not given the rifle a chance to show you what it can do. Your loading experience must be limited if you think all you do is pick a powder and it should give you the accuracy you want. The 243 should shoot fine with bullet weights from 65 to 105 grains in a 1 in 10" twist bore.

Some rifle can be very picky as to the powder bullet combination they like best, but most rifles will give good results with more than one powder choice. My 243 produces very good results with Winchester brass, federal large rifle primers, and Sierra or Hornaday bullets. The heavy bullets usually like the slow burning powders best and the lighter weight bullets like the faster burning powders like Varget, REL-15, H-335. Only through load testing and bullet seating depth can you find the right combination your rifle likes best. The 243 is a fine shooting accurate cartidge best suited for varmint hunting but can also be used on deer sized game with proper bullet selection.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AA-3100 works very well in my .243, I used a load of 46grs

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
tikka riffles have alot of free bore. i havent had any luck shooting heavy for caliber bullets out of them try some thing lighter.those tikkas will shoot but the free bore is a problem.shoot what it likes if your after accuracy. try ballistic tips from Nozler.

Posts: 2 | Location: IA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
<pintail>
posted
Sorry about the lack of information I am using an Sellier & belliot 100grn SP ,ALL the screws on the rifle are tight,the bore has been cleaned properly,at first I thought it was my shooting so I got a good friend to shoot my rifle he did no better,when he tried the same loads in his sako they where no different,with 36grn of N140 & a 90 grn bullet the rifle will shoot under an inch as will39grn of N160 & a 105grn speer bullet,
please remember this is the UK where I live ,the price of powder is going up every time you buy some,I had this powder and bullets given me to try ,the price of loading components is getting high over here [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that when a load is worked up with a powder that give the top velocity with that bullet that it's the best load or close enough.

Also that perfect rifles shoot good bullets well with almost any load that burns.

In other words its the rifle or the scope. The most common rifle problem for groups that size is the bedding. Try three shots with the rear guard screw loose and get back to us.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try using a different or a magnum primer. 4350 and 3100 are slow burning and if used in a magnum case, you'd be told to use a magnum primer. Cheap to just try a few out. Hope your accuracy problems get solved, thanks for being brave enough to keep shooting even though your government screws you for it.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
Pintail,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but is this for deer, so you are legally obliged to go 100gr + ?

Patrick