Find
Notify
Tools

300 grain Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
I just picked up some 300 grain Barnes X and solid tsx. I am planning on using R 15.
Has anyone had any experience loading this powder with this bullet??? I am loading for my Remmington 700 ABG. IN 375 H&H. homer

I have used Barnes before in my 300 and 458 and 45 70 all with great sucess. I have also picked up some TSX 500 grain 458 bullets X and solids. I used R 7 with the "old" barnes X and solids. Just curious how they worked for anyone else.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what round ?

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remmington 700 ABG

Barnes makes 300gr bullets for the .375 and .416 calibers, not for .458 so it's either 375Ultra, 375 H&H, or 416 Rem.

Ol' Honkey ain't makin' it easy to answer. Course maybe it was meant for the mindreaders among us.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys,,, It is a 375 H&H.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honkey, I think you're in the right ballpark with the RE-15. My favorite load for my .375 Taylor is RE-15 and 270g TSX. Velocity is right at 2750fps. With the 300g TSX, you may want to try RE-19 as well, but you should be close with the RE-15...

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried Reloder 15 yet; but in my .375 H&H, I got good accuracy with 77 grains of Winchester 760, 300-grain TSX, and WLRM primers. Start lower and work up.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honkey,How is that rifle?Is it accurate? Iam thinking of getting a ABG chambered for the 375 RUM.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
I have just started working up different loads with it.
So far it groups very well with just about everything that I have put through it, Siera 235, Speer 285, Hornady 300 grain solids and 250 grain Nossler all come in at under 1 inch.
clap

ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND I just got the rifle and it was unused and new in the box however it is 12 years old, I bought a 458 win 8 years ago from a friends dad and he had bought the two rifles at the same time and never used either.

I just got him to part with the 375. I don't know if the newer Remmingtons shoot as good, the trigger on the newer rifles certanly are not as good, due to the sue happy society we live in most factory rifles need trigger adjustment. The trigger on both of my 375 and 458 break clean at 2.8 LBS. beer

But to answer your question YES it shoots and feeds great with a great variety of ammo. I suppose you will be looking for a big rifle like that for Moose and Bears in Canada???

BTW in my humble opinion the original 375 H&H is more than enough gun for anything short of Rino and Elephant. Don't bother with a 375 RUM you won't kill them any deader and the ammo is more expensive and harder to find.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Honkey,I was thinking for a long range rifle.One for deer and caribou.A rifle with enough long range energy,that will knock them down at 400yds.Thinking of going to Alberta one year or increasing my odds for a nicer bull rack.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
A long range rifle that will have knock down power at 400 yards. I would think 300 win mag would be better than a 375. I use 200 grain Barnes X in my 300 win Mag model 70. I load them with 72 grains of H 4831 and they do 2750fps.

I have it zeroed 2.5 inches high at 100 yards and that puts it dead on at 200 yards. It is only 3 inches low at 300 yards. I have never shot it at 400, but I imagine you would not have to set it to high to have a good zero at 400.

BTW that bullet kills beyond all reason:

ALL ONE SHOT KILLS WITH THIS RIFLE AND BULLET COMBO
2 Zebra
1 Kudu
4 Mule Deer
5 feral pigs
Many coyote
1 black bear
2 warthog
2 impala
1 waterbuck
1 thompson gazelle
1 grants gazelle
1 wildabeast

Cheers

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked your balistic figures with the various reloading manuals?What you are claiming in tragectory for your bullet does not make sense.Also the energy delivered by the 375rum at 400yds is much greater than a 300wm.I want to see the game I shoot drop on the spot.A 400lb caribou shot by the load you describe in 0'F will not drop in their track,unless he is shot in the head.

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I have checked this against the ballistic tables. And I have found that just like loading manuals what is said that a bullet will do(trajectory or FPS at the muzzle) is often something quite different from what happens with the rifle that you have in your hands.

I use the loading manuals and never excede max loads for saftey sake and I look at the ballistic tables as guidelines. However I use a chronograph on all my loads and then shoot them at measured range to find out what they are doing in my rifle.

I realy do not know what this round will do at 400 yards as I have never even shot paper at 400 yards. 300 yards is my max for long distance hunting.

Let me preface the next opinion of mine with the fact that I am far from the most experienced hunter you will meet in this forum. I do not want to sound like an arrogant know it all. However I have shot a few animals and I have seen a pile of animals shot by other hunters in the field. As far as "droping the animal on the spot" I don't care if it is a snow shoe hare or an Elephant the only safe bet that you will drop an animal on the spot IS by shooting it in the head, and it won't matter if you shoot it with a 22 long rifle or a 577 nitro express.

I have found that "body Shots" in the vital area regardless of calliber rarely drop any animal on the spot. I have found, by accident, that a broadside shot high on the shoulder is the most relliable way to produce this effect. I found this out by accident the last time I was in Africa. I shot a zebra with the above mentioned 300 win mag and the animal went down as if the ground was pulle out from under it. I hit the animal high on the shoulder about halfway up to the spine. The zebra went down and twitched a little. The range was about 120 yards and by the time I walked up to it he was very dead. I have told this story to hunters who are much more experienced than I am and they have told me that this is a comon tactic for dropping an animal as the bullet breaks the shoulder and is close enough to the spine to cause trauma. I have since sucesfully used it twice on deer in the USA when they were inside of 100 yards, presenting their broadside and not moving.

However a Caribou or deer at 400 yards, this is going to be a small target to reliably hit. About 5 x5 inches. I know I can't make that shot in field conditions and I would have a hard time making it from the bench. I would have to get closer, or decline shooting. However there are hunters who can make this shot (not many) if you are one of them you are my hero.

Another thing to consider, if the terain is open enough to take 400 yard shots why do you care if the animal runns a little before going down for good?? You will probably never loose sight of it.

Once again, I am not trying to be arogant. This is why I like this forum, you get to share opinions and experience and learn.

CHEERS

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honkey,

I really have to agree with you about shot placement. It takes perfect conditions, precise range determination and a great amount of practice to accomplish sufficient accuracy at long range. I lived in the Colorado mountains for 24 years and have seen many, many elk wounded because of attempted long range shots. I also feel that 300 yards is my max.

And as with you, I do not intend to be a know-it-all. I just happen to have many years of exposure to such situations.

Best regards to all and Merry Christmas,

SD Shooter

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel if you have a good rangefinder and hold a foot above him you'll drop him.I think if I practise alot offhand and really strenghthen my hold I can get him.If 400 is too much then I'll stick to 300.It may be difficult to find wounded game even in open country.When I hunt caribou it usually snows every day.Sometimes there is no blood trail and you don't have much time.

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
BTW I went back and checked my reloading diary. I WAS WRONG.... The load I talked about has the following trajectory;

100 yards 2.5 high

200 yards dead on

300 yards 7.5 low

Once again I haven't a clue what it does at 400 yards. You now have me wanting to try it when the weather warms up just to know.

It is funny how when I rember something wrong I usually rember it bigger, better and greater!

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE