THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why do some guns soot better clean and some better foul?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do some guns soot better clean and some better foul?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted
Why A question for the technical guys.

I't's my practice to take all the hunting rifles to the range tshortly beforeo shoot one more 'confidence builder' group a few days before the season. At 100 yards I shot six rounds from the .270 to warm up, the one group from the stainless M70 in 7mm Mag, one from the 700 Ti in 7mm 08 and finally one from the stainless M70 .270. I couldn't see the holes from clearly until I measured the groups. The 7mm Mag and 7mm08 both shot >1/2" groups cold and clean. But, as I've noticed in years past the first six shot group from the .270 was about 2" but the second group <1/2". So why, technically speaking, do some guns need more copper to shoot well?

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I caught multiple errors in this posting when I reread it this PM. So here are the corrections.

I't's my practice to take all the hunting rifles to the range shortly before the season to shoot one more 'confidence builder' group. At 100 yards I shot six rounds from the .270 to warm up, the one group from the stainless M70 in 7mm Mag, one from the 700 Ti in 7mm 08 and finally one from the stainless M70 .270. I couldn't see the holes from clearly until I measured the groups. The 7mm Mag and 7mm08 both shot <1/2" groups cold and clean. But, as I've noticed in years past The .270 shot better after fouling shots. The first six shot warm-up group from the .270 was about 2" (five shots in 1.5") but the second group about 1/2". I've done better with the gun a few times but @1/2" is average when it's slightly fouled.

So why, technically speaking, do some guns need more copper or whatever in the barrel to shoot really well while others don't?

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but I do know that competitve shooters let a few "foulers" and "sighters" go downrange before they shoot for record. Sounds like a good question to ask on the benchrest and long-range forums.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote