New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading tips
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to know if you have any reloading tips that you've discovered that makes the chore just a little easier. One that I have is I keep a roll of athletic tape on the bench with me. When I load and box up some rounds I put the info on the tape and tape it to the top of the box. I do this because the little stick on ones that come with the bullets don't work. The other that I've come up with is to keep an artist brush next to my powder measure. When I need to clean out one powder I use the brush to sweep the last grains of powder into the "hole" thing and drop them out. Hey by the way what is that little hole thing really called anyway?

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Number 1 tip is to do only one thing at a time.

Never have more than one type of powder out at a time and visually inspect your loads to make sure powder is about the same in each.

Only one brand, caliber and weight bullet out at a time.

Always double check your measurements....case length, oal, etc.

Every time..let me repeat that...every time you change the brand of case, the lot of powder, the type of primer, new batch of bullets, etc, drop down a bit with your powder charge just to make sure things are OK.

Final tip! All the careful loading in the world won't make a difference if your scope mounts etc are tight and if your rifle isn't bedded properly.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ricochet>
posted
Take good notes. Being carefull can't hurt either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started out, I encountered one problem 2-3 times that made me want to make a sign to hang over the bench....

"Prime Before Charging."

[Big Grin]

Eventually it sank in, and I stopped having loading trays with a big mess in the bottom.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Deburr flasholes
2. Uniform primer pockets

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle: Gummed address lables are cheaper and more satisfactory than athletic tape. You can get them nearly anywhere, and the smallest quantity you can buy will last you the rest of your reloading life.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
When working up a new load, I use those gel-markers to color code the primers to each load. the gel markers are similar the magic markers, but the ink is thicker and more fluorescent.

I found this out the hard way after dumping my carefuly arranged, .5 grain incremented, groups of five round, forty shells on the ground. Had to pull all the bullets a start all over.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When using a inertia bullet puller (looks like a hammer) instead of using the supplied collet to hold the case, try using a normal press shell holder for that caliber. It works with my puller, and it saves me the aggravation with those stupid collets.

Posts: 26 | Location: Marilla, NY, outside of Buffalo | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With Quote