New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm more powder vs increased accuracy
 Login/Join

posted
Afternoon all and Merry Christmas,

Real quick question. I know there are alot of variables, not to mention my shaky hand, but generally, does more powder tend to bring a tighter group? I am shooting my TacOps with 125gr TCN Lead, 4.7gr of AA#5(bottom of the range, min). I think the max is like 5.6 with this powder and bullet. I am seated about .030 off the lands too.

Just curious. I just shot about 40 rounds and they are kind of all over the place at 10 yds.

Thanks guys and enjoy the family and food.

Sid

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No. What you need to do is practice good pistol shooting technique (you mentioned shaky hands), instead of chasing this. Not sure about the lead bullets though; never used those. But more powder won't help.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to tune the load for a handgun just like I work up a precision rifle load. To answer your question, yes, usually loads tend to be more accurate at higher chamber pressures, BUT you need to increase charges in small increments and shoot them in order to watch for excessive pressure.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most handgun match ammo is loaded to lower velocity and pressures. Prime example is the highly accurate 148gr 38spl wad cutter ammo.

I never thought of higher pressures = increased accuracy might be in some loads but that would be just the way it is not the norm.

I shot a lot of lead 9mm bullets through my 9mms they shot very accurately.

I never worry about seating handgun ammo off the lands. It is all about proper length to function through the mag or fitting into the cylinder.

Getting to short can cause a raise in pressure or functioning problems. Getting it to long then it well not fit the mag or cly.

Sounds to me like you could use some serious instruction on proper hand gun shooting.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one looks to NRA Precision Pistol competition (where the service folks are shooting 9x19), the loads are almost all 115gn JHP and loads that run from mid-range to near max.
9x19 generally does not give best accuracy with either fast powders or light loads.
Of course, if IDPA accuracy-needs is all you want, then you will most likely be shooting 147gn bullets and fast powders in non-compensated guns.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote