Find
Notify
Tools

Reflections on moly in 243 AI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
I have 26" douglas barrel that has been on a diet of moly coated bullets for past 2 years.
My round count is 850.
Just in the last 100 or so rounds the throat has moved from a 2.296" oal to the lands to a 2.356" measured with a comparitor. I have been shooting normal loads for this caliber and my thoughts were to use the moly to see if I gained any more life out of the barrel.
I only cleaned the barrel when the groups started to spread. it has been a very consistent 1/2" moa to 2" groups at 300yrs.
I was hopeing to get over a 1000 rounds out of it but at 750 rounds it gave up.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By giving up just how bad is it? My 6MM Remington has close to 2000 rounds thru it's barrel, mostly hot loads using 100 grain bullets and it still shoots MOA or better. I don't let the barrel get too hot and clean it every 40 rounds or so.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a thorough cleaning using Wipeout and then JB Bore Paste. Get it really clean. Seat your bullets out a little more than normal. Fire about five rounds of moly-coated bullets before firing for group. See if this doesn't bring that barrel back to life.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks for the comments, I did that and accuracy was about moa.
I have a reamer comming and plan on rechambering and setting the barrel back 1 thread or so should put me back in the game
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
HV, I shoot a Cooper .243 AI and haven't had anywhere near that much throat erosion. I am curious as to who's barrel is on your rifle, and is it button or cut rifled? Is it possible that the overall rifling is extremely shallow? Regardless, be sure to do a new crown at the same time as the setback. Good shooting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote