New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Most accurate hunting bullet???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have you tried the 165gr Barnes XLC or the 180gr versions of the triple shock and the XLC. The differences in the long range drops are not that significant between the 168 and 180. Once you get out to about 600 yards the 180 catches up and actually has more retained velocity and power after that.

Don't give up on the triple shocks too fast. Try some other powders and seating depths.
Slap some H-4831 in there with some Federal match magnum primers set it .03 to .05 off the lands and you may find those 168gr triple shocks are shooting just fine.
Good luck!

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are too many good, accurate bullets out there to make a retirement project out of making one bullet shoot well.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried 200gr Accubonds with reloader 25 and they shot great! problem is you can't get Reloader 25 any more due to the restructuring of some powder companies. I substituted IMR 7828 and I'm back to square one bullets every which way.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Did you try Retumbo.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No Retumbo, thought about it but I don't have any data. Also I suspect that slow burning Retumbo may just be to slow for my 26" barrel.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
This discussion leaves me no choice but to share my recent experience with some ANTIQUE 180gr Nosler Partitions. I picked these up at a show. $25 for 150. They're so old you can see lathe marks - "ribbed for her pleasure"

I loaded them up with 71, 72, 73 and 74 gr of RL-22. The 71gr load put 3 in one ragged hole. 73gr showed a 1" spread with 5. Have not tried 74gr yet.

So what does that mean? I think it means there's no such thing as "the most accurate hunting bullet." My rifle shoots GameKings and other Partitions just as well. I got lucky with it.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Of the truly reliable, premium hunting bullets that I trust for hunting everything from pronghorn to moose, I nominate the Nosler Partition as the most accurate across the board.

There are certain bullet makes that are slightly more accurate than the Partition is, but I don't trust them as serious hunting bullets. The Partition combines excellent accuracy with reliable terminal performance better than any other bullet in my experience, and I swear by it. Five-shot groups of well-under MOA (1/2" groups aren't unusual) are the norm in my rifles with the Nosler Partition, and when you get to that level of accuracy, it's time to quit fussing and get to hunting.

AD

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

No Retumbo, thought about it but I don't have any data. Also I suspect that slow burning Retumbo may just be to slow for my 26" barrel.

Start with RL 25 loads and work up!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Retumbo isn't too slow. In fact, I got much better velocities with H870 from my 26" barrel. My Retumbo load is 95 grains for 3177 fps--fairly mild but not whimpy. Most of all, very accurate and consistent.

[On Edit] I forgot you had a Warbird and not a RUM so my load doesn't do you any good. Roll Eyes However, with even more case capacity your round will like slower powders even more than the RUM does.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote