Find
Notify
Tools

.41 Mag Target Load?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have one?

I don't have any trouble getting target accuracy out of my old S&W 57 with 200-220 grain bullets around 1000 fps but I no longer care to fight that level of recoil when I don't need that much power.

Suggestions, please?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
6 gr. unique and any good cast bullet of about 200-210 grains. I think this should get you about 700-850 fps depending on barrel length.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 5.0 gr of Titegroup & 215 gr lead bullets in my loads for Cowboy shooting. I haven't ever shot them for group, but they seem to do the job okay.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobie:
6 gr. unique and any good cast bullet of about 200-210 grains. I think this should get you about 700-850 fps depending on barrel length.

I got around to trying it, Hobie. Shows promise. Averaged about 860 out of a 6" S&W. Four shots touching and a flier about 1-2" out with at 35' yards. Did this with two groups each and two different bullets.

I'll wring this out a bit more and break out my third mould in this range and get back to you.

BTW, best group so far was 5.0 grains Bullseye under a Lyman HB wadcutter. Still had that flier. I gotta check for a bad chamber. Also, I am using an old Lee rest for the first time in years. My technique may need some work. All the fliers were to the right, so that may be the case.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj,

I'll be looking for your followup. The only .41 Mag I have is a 16�" on my Contender. However, I've had really good performance with Unique in .38 Special, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, 9mm Luger and .45 ACP. The .44 Mag loads are closest to what you're talking about. I use 8 gr. of Unique and a 240 gr. Hornady swaged lead bullet. This is a fun load to shoot out of my M629 4" but I think it goes about 850-900.

I am only just now getting to do "real" load development with a lot of guns I've owned and shot for years. That opportunity is called retirement. [Big Grin] Now I'll get to see just what I can get each one to do.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote