Find
Notify
Tools

You know you're a gun nut if...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
and the number 10 reason you might be a gun nut:

10) You carry pictures of your guns in your wallet instead of your wife and kids.

Bob

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
...you're on a 3 day hunt, but brought more than 3 rifles

some of these are painful

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...if you have 3-kids, 3-sons or daughters-in-laws, 6-grandkids, and have a very nice rifle-scope combo for each when you pass on. Cool Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know you're a gun nut if....

While at the convienence store and being a witnessing to a robbery, not only can you give the police a good description of the crook, but make model, caliber and serial number of the gun he used.

The Sherrifs department wants to evaluate a new pistol for general issue and gives you a call, asking if you can bring over a few different models for them to try...

Gang bangers have learned that a drive by is not a good idea on your street.....

Shooting a crow with a 375 H&H is normal......

You bought an SUV to carry your guns and gear to the range/hunting....and it still doesn't have enough room for the wife and the kids.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like this topic, at all. I am finding out WAY too much about myself!

Now I need to go buy a gun for these rounds I have reloaded....

-----------------------------------------------------
\ "If I don't step over the line every now /
/ and then, how will I know where it is?" \
-----------------------------------------------------

Posts: 148 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Look Sweetie,"
See all these posts before mine. Ok, I know quite a few of them apply to me, but....that means I'm somewhat normal.

But, I'm not!

--Whilst shooting my M-16 at the Army rifle range a long, long time ago, I commented, "Hmmm, Smells like BLC-2".

--Boss thought I had a screw loose when I said I wanted to chrony my M4 prior to deployment awhile back.

Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you watch Bonanza, and 30 years later still wonder why the Cartwrights carried cartridge weapons which weren't invented for another 10-15 years after the series was set in. AND, why in the world if they had such cutting edge weapons, didn't they have any cartridge loops on their gunbelts?

Bob

one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
You do what I just did:

Buy a Leupold on closeout and then post and ask the guys what kind of gun you need to get to put it on........

Finally understand what women mean when they say, "It's not how much you spend, it's how much you save".....

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The two things you do after shooting a nice buck is to:
1. Pick up the spent brass
2. Flip the buck over to examin the exit hole so you can acess bullet performance

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Scout Master 54?
What do ya mean,doesn't everybody do that?

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...you and a friend go to a gun show. The friend is disapointed with the turnout, and complains to the show organizer "I can see more guns over at his house than you've got here."

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you trade off that rifle you couldn't live without, that took months of experimentation to get shooting 1/2" MOA, for different one that (may) do better.

When you buy a used scope.....with the intention of putting a rifle on it.

When you know the makes, models and SN's of the contents of your safe..but can't remember your anniversary date.

When all the magazines mailed to your address in a plain brown wrapper...have a picture of a gun on the cover.

When a magazine mean something to load...rather than something to read.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of F4J
posted Hide Post
...you post asking what everyones' pet squirrel load for the .338 is...and your serious.

Posts: 21 | Location: Exeter, NH | Registered: 22 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True tale:
When your house is threatened by a forest fire and you run the evacuation roadblock with your official work truck to get your rifle collection out.

Posts: 38 | Location: Lake Tahoe, NV | Registered: 29 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted Hide Post
- You sell your snowmobile so you'll have plenty of extra funds for an upcoming gun show.

eek2

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you love the smell of burned gunpowder.

My 12 year old younger daughter, Stephanie, began shooting a .22 rimfire at about age 9 or 10. She needed a phone book on the seat at the benchrest so she would be high enough to reach the rifle. Recently she has begun shooting skeet.

She told me several days ago that she was recently discussing with one of her friends what kind of smells they like. Stephanie said she likes the smell of new shoes. The other girl thought that was strange. Then Stephanie told me that she hesitsted telling the other girl that she likes the smell of gunpowder because she was afraid of what the other girl would think. But eventually she told the other girl ayway and the other girl did say she was crazy.

But I'm on Stephanie's side -- the smell of fresh-burned gunpowder is one of the greatest smells in the world.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you read every one of these posts and see yourself in several of them...

If you find yourself dreamin' up a new gun before your present one is out of the gunsmith's shop...

If 22 degrees Farenheit and a 30-mph crosswind are acceptable conditions to go shoot a few tight groups...

If you'd rather drive miles and miles to go shootin' in the middle of the week when nobody is on the golf course that's just a few minutes away...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
If you have telephone service started at your house and request: xxx-GUNS. Yep! That's me!!! And, I got it! roflmao

What's worse? I had backups if that one didn't work: xxx-DEER, xxx-BUCK, xxx-4570, xxx-223R, etc.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) If you contribute to gun forums from work.

2) If your gun collection is appriciating faster than your wife's 401k plan.

3) You like overtime, cause then you get more guns.

4) When a relative dies, you appraise the guns for more than they are worth, and STILL fight over them.

5) It takes more than 5 trips from the car the bench at the range, becuase you have too much stuff.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1. When you move it takes a fully loaded 1-ton truck and 14K GVW trailer just to take your gun stuff. And the guns and safes take up the next load on the next trip.

2. You find a place to live based upon where the safes will fit.

3. You date/marry specifically for the kind of guns they own or will buy you.

4. When you find a piece of brass out in the field you wonder what make/model gun it came from.

5. You still have every Outdoor Life and Shooter's Bible you have read since 1969.

6. You memorize the comparitive burn rates of your powders.

7. You go to a gun show to break out of a depression.

8. You go to a gun show because you are in a good mood.

9. Long neck doesn't just mean a beer.

10. You make the kids buddy up in bedrooms in order to make one of the bedrooms into a reloading room.

11. Every time you travel to a military base on temporary duty, the gate guards say "wow, you sure have a lot of guns" as they give you a temporary pass for your POV. (I live on a Navy base and must have my weapons registered with base police)

12. When loading, you work loads up in .1 grain increments...just to see which one is really better.

13. You hear about the cult raided with "X" amount of ammo and say to yourself...they weren't very prepared.

14. You know what a gyrojet is.

15. You are digging around in Uncle Jack's basement (after he passes and leaves his stuff to you) and are more excited about finding the beat up O3A3 than you are about the dozen rolls of uncirculated mercury dimes you found later.

Retired USN.....finally

Molon Labe.

Posts: 27 | Location: North to Alaska, maybe Nevada. | Registered: 15 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Allways you pass your gun vitrine,u put your nose between the doors and take a long sniff of the wonderful smell of gunoil,powder and blue steel...aaaaahh How it arouses me.. Big Grin nut

Elias

As long thers no gunsplitters in the air..thers hope.. ex sako fan.. bawling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You blow the rent on guns so often that your landlord expects to be paid late.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458RugerNo1:
1) Your wardrobe is mostly Carhartt products, military surplus and Advantage camo...

2) You usually smell like Hoppes No 9 at any given moment...

3) If the house is on fire the only thing you're worried about is getting ur guns out of the safe in time...

4) You'll eat Top Ramen noodles so you can keep your shooting hobby well funded...

5) Your truck is an old beater but your safe has at least 20k worth of gear n guns in it...

6) You find yourself thinking about shooting, hunting and related things more than any other subject...

7) In your pants pocket along with the usual change, Swiss Army knife, etc you usually have a couple rounds of .45 ACP

I KNEW someone was watching me, I just thought it was the FBI....

Alberta Canuck

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you replace the carpet in the reloading room and the guy who's dragging the old carpet out inadvertantly drops his cigarette on it and you really need to call 911 NOW but you can't find the cordless phone because its hiding under a pile of 2 year old gun magazines.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You don't have any "collector" guns, just the ones you shoot...

So, you shoot a different one at the range every week

And, that means you'll be shooting the one you shot yesterday again....in late 2007...

if you don't build/buy any more....

TRUE FACT

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
When you spend a year and a half going through several different bullet types and powders and get the perfect load with the most velocity and 1/4" groups...........and start looking around and thinking of a better load!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You pick up a piece of brass and know what type of firearm it's from based upon the firing pin, extractor mark...

Conservation officers don't ask if you have a deer license, just what gun you are using today.....

Your wife tells you about a new gunshop near the inlaws and she has a little spare cash on hand for the new gun you must have...IF....you will refrain from the mother in law comments at the dinner table....almost a toss up on this one...hmmm new gun versus jabbing the mother in law Smiler

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
The local cop you know says to you "if there's ever an invasion, I am coming to your house!"

When you say "Lets go to the range" and your kids know which rifle goes in which case and where each case fits in the truck.

When your Dad brags you up, but can't remember if you have a 338, a 348, or a 358...and all three are correct statements!

When your daughter explains to the boys at school what a 30-06 is versus a 22.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marrying for sex is like buying a 747 for the peanuts. There are much easier and cheaper ways to get the same thing!

And the portions are so small too!
.4 ouncesFrowner

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
With a little (actually a lot) more money I could claim most of these for myself, but for now I'm suck with what I have.

This one happened to me this morning:

When you look up to see how much gas you just put in the car, notice $30.06 on the readout, and smile.

Of course my very next thought was, "gotta go share that on AR."

When I mention a cartridge,the rifles involved:
22LR Cooey SingleShot | 22 Hornet 40sCZ | 223Rem CZ 527 Varmint
30-06 Husqvarna Sporter | 300 WinMag A-BoltII S/S BOSS | 458 WinMag Ruger #1

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the FBI has you in their "favorites" list.

When you name your fisrt child "Gunnar" and you're not Swedish.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know you're a gun nut if...

You always make out a grocery list of needed supplies when you're headed into town, and topping the list before milk, butter, and eggs is

1. 2005 Hodgdon Annual Manual
2. 30 caliber cleaning patches(1000\bag)
3. large rifle primers

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you finally discover that every species of animal hunted by man actually requires a different caliber or that every animal within a species really requires a slightly different rifle for utmost hunting effectiveness and efficiency.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
If for the majority of the people you interact with, the list below is the most efficient way to clarify spelling:

A as in Ackley, Annealling, Aperture
B as in Browning, Barrel, Bonded
C – Chrony, Cartridge
D – Dies, Douglas
E – Expansion
F – Federal, Fouling
G – Garand, Grain
H – Hodgdon, Hoppe’s, Howa
I – Improved
J – Jag
K – Krieger
L – Leupold, Lilja
M – Mauser, Magnum, MilSurp
N – Nosler, NorthFork
O – Overbore
P – Partition, Primer, Penetration
Q – QuickLoad
R – Reloder, Runout, Remington
S – Sierra, Speer, Swift
T – Trajectory, Target
U – Unique,
V – Vihtavuori
W – Winchester, Weatherby
X – X-bullet
Y – Yugo
Z – Zastava

When I mention a cartridge,the rifles involved:
22LR Cooey SingleShot | 22 Hornet 40sCZ | 223Rem CZ 527 Varmint
30-06 Husqvarna Sporter | 300 WinMag A-BoltII S/S BOSS | 458 WinMag Ruger #1

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the magazine where I worked until it closed down last April, I sometimes got a vegetable platter in the lunchroom for lunch. The cost, with tax, came to $3.03.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. When you have two guns on order, and already own three that you have yet to shoot.

1a. And when one of the guns on order will be rebarreled to a proprietary round that you just had to have because it has the same name as your German Shorthair Pointer (Grendel, hence a CZ527 rebarreled to 6.5 Grendel).

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
....if you accidently shoot your truck and you start taking it apart to recover the bullet...to see how it performed!

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teflon
posted Hide Post
..... if twelve months ago you trade a rifle that you owned for a year but had never fired for a rifle that you've owned for a year that you haven't fired yet ....

.... if you buy 50 lbs of wheelweights and you don't own any molds .....

.... you think Hoppe's #9 is an aphrodisiac ...

The mania for giving the Government power to meddle with the private affairs of cities or citizens is likely to cause endless trouble, through the rivaly of schools and creeds that are anxious to obtain official recognition, and there is great danger that our people will lose our independence of thought and action which is the cause of much of our greatness, and sink into the helplessness of the Frenchman or German who expects his government to feed him when hungry, clothe him when naked, to prescribe when his child may be born and when he may die, and, in fine, to regulate every act of humanity from the cradle to the tomb, including the manner in which he may seek future admission to paradise.
Mark Twain

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ " "Victory or Death!"

Posts: 723 | Location: chillin' in the Mountain State | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
...Your getting married and you list the local gun store as the first store that you are registered at .

Extra Credit if it is the only store you are registered at.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
You can keep a gunshow going past closing time because the exhibitors see you working your way towards them!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote