New
Find
Notify
Tools

loads for a .38/55
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy got a wild hair, went out and bought an H&R Buffalo Classic Single Shot in .38/55. Then he went over to Dillon's place in or near Phoenix and bought some commercial cast .38 caliber 240 grain lead bullets. Marty next called me and asked what powder do I recommend. I had no recommendation as I am not familiar at all with that cartridge or weapon. Do any one of you out there have any recommendations for a smokeless powder load for that rifle using a ball powder and the 240 grain cast .38 caliber bullet? He's not interested in hunting with it, just some target shooting. Thanks for any help. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has always had loads for that one. I tried Ball C when I had a lot of it and it does not burn well at low pressures.

I used 15.5 grs of IMR SR 4759 with the 240 gr plain base and a very small kapox tuft to hold the powder down. That is accurate in my Hepburn. I have shot a lot of those loads in matches.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
My favorite for my old Win, is: 16.0g of AA 5744, CCI 200 primers with a 240g Lead Cast Bullet from Meister Bullets. Velocity is give as 1241 fps at 17900 cup. It's quite accurate and fun to shoot.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote