New
Find
Notify
Tools

seating close to the lands
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rem. 700 in 22-250 that simply does not like the bullet close to the lands. After trying four diff. powders and a multitude of charge weights I simlly cannot find a combo that will shoot well when loaded close to the lands. When I say shoot poorly I mean 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds.

Well today I tried some that were loaded at the recommended 2.350 and to my surprise the rifle was shooting in the fours with an ocassional group in the high threes. Just goes to show you how much time you can waste by being bull-headed.

Has anyone else had a rifle that did not like the bullet close to the lands? This is the first one I have owned like that.

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my experience a good rule-of-thumb is that shorter bullets do better further off the lands than do the longer ones. Long bullets w/quick twist barrels seem to love to be close.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem. 700 BDL VLS in 22-250 that likes the bullet seated .020 off of the lands. Every time that I have shot a new load for jump, or gone back and reshot an old load to make sure, it comes down to the same .020. I questioned it at first, but not anymore. It's not a lot but the patterns tell the tale. Some rifles are just like that. Try backing the bullet off of the lands in .005 steps until you find the sweet spot. Good luck.

Posts: 14 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 February 2003Reply With Quote