Find
Notify
Tools

?Light X-Bullets in a 7mm Rem Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I'm interested in hearing if anybody has loaded 120 gr. Barnes X bullets in their 7mm Mag. I want to get a flatter trajectory with the lighter weight, but maintain good performance on medium sized game.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tod,

I personnally have not done this. There are many posts over on 24hourcampfire where people are driving very light-for-caliber X bullets at hyper velocity. Noted where some are driving the 100g, 25 cal. X bullet 3,700 fps and over out of the 257 Weatherby with great results. I would like to try it myself! Seems to be a good formula as long as the bullet holds together.

Barnes did away with the 100g, 26cal X bullet. Too bad as I would love to have tried it in my 260 AI.

On another post I am trying to find out about the HV bullet from GS Custom Bullets. They offer a 110g HV bullet and claim 3,300 fps with it out of the 260 Rem.! (I mention this as I read you have a 260 in a previous post) Like the Barnes X bullet, the HV is also a monometal, copper bullet that can hold up to hyper velocity. They have a different construction and behave differently (their petals peel off above 2,600 fps or so) when striking game. Am trying to find out if they are effective or not.

I suspect you will be happy with the results of a 120g X bullet at 7mm Mag speeds!

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
The 120XBT is my favorite .284" projectile. I've shot it in 7-08(both rifles and XP-100),284Win,7mmRemMag and in my two STW's.

I keep hoping they offer it in an XLC coated version. It is simply fabulous in my opinion.

3500fps came easily in all my 24" barreled 7mmRemMags,with Re-22 and R/P brass................