Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 200 gr Load Data for 20" Barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have a 8x57 20" barrel that I've been shooting some 200 grain Accubonds through from Superior Ammo.

I tried their sample pack and the TSX, A-frame, and Partitions didn't shoot worth a damn; neither did the factory S&B 96 grain ammo. Woodleigh and Accubond shot sub 1".

My goal for a hand load is 2,500 - 2,600 fps from a 20" barrel.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 8 x 57 is like a big 223 case..

so in mine, I assumed that powder good for the smaller case worked well in the larger case..

so I tested it with RL 7 and IMR 4198...and as expected, it gave me both the best velocity and best accuracy...

even out of one with a 20 inch barrel..

if they are too fast for you, then check out 3031 or Benchmark...

work up tho.. starting loads are available in cast bullet manuals..

if you don't have any, start conservatively at 33 to 35 grains and work up...that is what worked well in my rifles..

even mid range powders are too slow IHO..for max velocity and efficiency...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
Currently have two sets of work-up loads waiting to test using IMR4350 and Big Game with 200 grain Partitions. Rifle is Rem 700 Classic.

Weather and worked have delayed getting to the range to get results. thumbdown

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulH:
Currently have two sets of work-up loads waiting to test using IMR4350 and Big Game with 200 grain Partitions. Rifle is Rem 700 Classic.

Weather and worked have delayed getting to the range to get results. thumbdown

Let us know the results! Good luck!

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
My goal for a hand load is 2,500 - 2,600 fps from a 20" barrel.

That may be asking a lot. With a 200gr bullet, anything over 2500fps, I'll consider a bonus, if I can get that much out of a 20" barrel.

Thanks for asking this question since I'm looking to solve the same thing. I have a 8x57 with a 20" barrel too.

I looked at some load data from last summer, and see that I tried H4895, Varget, IMR 4064, IMR 4895, and H380. These are medium burn rates, which is what I think the 8x57 wants. They all produced good results, so right now I don't have enough info to choose just one. I suspect H4895 or Varget will prove to be the best.

One powder that I like, and didn't try yet is W748. It's a bit on the fast side of the medium powders, which is great for short barrels. I've had good results in 308 and 35 Whelen with the W748. I'm pretty sure it's a good choice for the 8x57. The nice thing about the 8x57 is that it likes a wide variety of powders, but they are all in the medium burn rate class, very similar to the powders a 308 likes

It will be several weeks before I can test again, and I plan on using a cronograph. I want to develope a stiff load, using the 200gr Barnes, assuming it's accurate in my rifle.

I have the notion that I need a tough bullet, although I'll be mostly deer hunting. The issue is that I hunt in brown bear turf, so I use more than enough gun, just in case I need it.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the best results (accuracy & velocity) with several 8x57s with IMR 4320. 4895 and RL 15 would also be good choices. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
the 8 x 57 is like a big 223 case..

so in mine, I assumed that powder good for the smaller case worked well in the larger case..

so I tested it with RL 7 and IMR 4198...and as expected, it gave me both the best velocity and best accuracy...

even out of one with a 20 inch barrel..

if they are too fast for you, then check out 3031 or Benchmark...

work up tho.. starting loads are available in cast bullet manuals..

if you don't have any, start conservatively at 33 to 35 grains and work up...that is what worked well in my rifles..

even mid range powders are too slow IHO..for max velocity and efficiency...

what velocities did you get?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RWS factory 196gr loads come within a few FPS of 2600. I don't know if you'll safely reach 2600 with a 20" bbl.

What was the velocity of the S&Bs? The factory loading is listed @ just under 2600, probably from a 24" bbl.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
RWS factory 196gr loads come within a few FPS of 2600. I don't know if you'll safely reach 2600 with a 20" bbl.

What was the velocity of the S&Bs? The factory loading is listed @ just under 2600, probably from a 24" bbl.

I didn't chrony the S&B ammo. I figured it was around 2,450-2,500 based on data for a 24" barrel and the loss of 4". BTW - horrible ammo - no grouping and brass flow.