New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate Arms 2200 powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any one have any Accurate Arms 2200 powder left? It has not been available for a few years but may still be sold at a few gun shows. I got a deal on this powder a few years ago and stocked up on it. I love the accuracy of this powder in 223, 30 30, and 308. Its a leaves a dirtier than average residue on cases but the muzzel blast is fantastic! It will propel a 110 gr bullet in a 30 30 to 2800 fps. I have shot a thousand or so rounds with this powder with no problems. It was surplus powder from South Africa and made for the 762x 39. I shoot 3 quarter inch groups in my AR with this powder and fmj bullets!

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of jugs of it still on hand.

Who told you it was from Sud Afrika? At the 1998 S.H.O.T. show in Lost Wages the head of AA told me he was importing it from eastern Europe, where it was being surplused as a result of the re-unification of the two Germanies and the end of the cold war. He said it was made for the 7.62x39, and that the country which surplused it always stocked a two-year supply on hand...when one stock would age beyond that, they would get rid of it and buy another two-year supply. All part of their previous cold-war planning to be able to fight for at least two years (as viewed from their side of the fence).

When AA won a bid for it, they labelled it 2200 because of its burn rate, and sold it here in Yankee-land.

How much of that is valid info I don't know, but that is what I was told.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I have a couple of jugs of it still on hand.

Who told you it was from Sud Afrika? At the 1998 S.H.O.T. show in Lost Wages the head of AA told me he was importing it from eastern Europe, where it was being surplused as a result of the re-unification of the two Germanies and the end of the cold war. He said it was made for the 7.62x39, and that the country which surplused it always stocked a two-year supply on hand...when one stock would age beyond that, they would get rid of it and buy another two-year supply. All part of their previous cold-war planning to be able to fight for at least two years (as viewed from their side of the fence).

When AA won a bid for it, they labelled it 2200 because of its burn rate, and sold it here in Yankee-land.

How much of that is valid info I don't know, but that is what I was told.

That's pretty much the story on it, except as far as I know it was Czech, made for the 7.62x39. I use it for my 222's, works great. It's not available any more, although I did see an 8lb jug for sale at the local gunshop last week @ $120. I still have 8 or so lbs. left, so I'll be okay for a while.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about some (accuracy) loads using 2200 for the 222, 223 and 308? I have an 8 pound jug of this stuff.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I use 21.5 grs in the 222. Very accurate with any and all bullets in 50 -53 grs. in both of my 222's.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
How about some (accuracy) loads using 2200 for the 222, 223 and 308? I have an 8 pound jug of this stuff.
Peter.

I have two jugs left, a lot of data in .223 and some in .308. Be glad to share if you send E-Mail address. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bartsche. PM sent. Thanks for the offer.
Craigster, I will give it shot (no pun intended)!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
AA 2200 is very good in 222 and 223 with 40 grain bullets, giving fairly high speeds. I found it most useful to me in the .25-20 WCF driving 72 grain lead GC bullets at 1950 fps.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sherlock,

How many grs of the 2200 are you using in your 25-20?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
bartsche. PM sent. Thanks for the offer.
intended)!
Peter.
E-Mail sent popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
On the .25-20 WCF, I am using either R 1 1/2 or R 6 1/2 primers and 14.5 or 14 grains respectively of AA2200. I have used more powder up to mild compression at my bullet seat depth, but the accuracy was less. BTW you can use AA1680 in the same manner with a bit more velocity. That's with the Lyman 257420 GC, moderately hard, Lee liquid alox thinned and the bullet not sized.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
On the .25-20 WCF, I am using either R 1 1/2 or R 6 1/2 primers and 14.5 or 14 grains respectively of AA2200. I have used more powder up to mild compression at my bullet seat depth, but the accuracy was less. BTW you can use AA1680 in the same manner with a bit more velocity. That's with the Lyman 257420 GC, moderately hard, Lee liquid alox thinned and the bullet not sized.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuratepowder.com/datapowder_DP2200.htm

Still have about 18lbs left. Is was a helluva deal at $48/8 lbs.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys guess someone told me wrong but its great powder have a lot left. My best load for my ar in 223 is 2o.5 gr for A 55GR FMJ 6 shots less than an inch 100yds. In my 308 its 41 grains for a 110 gr fmj very accurate and a heck of a muzzel blast!! 37 grains for a 147 fmj not as accurate. Doesnt make sense but the 110 remingtons are 307dia and i use a lee factory crimp what a blast 30 ft flame at night!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
That's pretty much the story on it, except as far as I know it was Czech, made for the 7.62x39. I use it for my 222's, works great. It's not available any more, although I did see an 8lb jug for sale at the local gunshop last week @ $120. I still have 8 or so lbs. left, so I'll be okay for a while.

Craigster - You are right about where it was made, but it was "apparently" surplused by a different, more hard-line, country. I've got the name of the exact Czech factory here somewhere, but haven't bothered to look it up recently.

BTW, it is the best"accuracy" powder I have seen used in the .221 Fireball.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone try it in their 30 30 is extremely accurate too. Will look up my 110 load it cronoed out to2800 fps. For South Africa I was thinkin about a powder sold in Shotgun News by Pats Reloading In Massilon ohio. He sold another powder called pr500 but it was a duplicate of AA no 5 made in South Africa. He sold the 2200 too . If you bought 4 jugs it was $200 postpaid hazmat included.THE GOOD OLE DAYS ARE GONE FOREVER. jUST GOT GAS FOR MY BLAZER 3.35 per gallon said it will be 3.90 by weeks end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster - Further to my posts above, just remembered the powder manufacturer... "Synthesia", supposedly.

Best wishes,

AC

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using 20.0 grains with a 50 gr Speer TNT in a .221 Fireball for 3000 fps. Got a .3 inch group out of it last week.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using all my AA2200 for my .458 Winchester Magnum. It's fast enough to get a 500 grain bullet up to 2200fps without compacting the powder and no signs of excessive pressure.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I refer you guys to another thread currently running...."Powder Info - Craigster". It will give you LOTS of info on powders made by the makers of AA 2200.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.