Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the experts.
 Login/Join

posted
I just started reloading, have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing now but by no means an expert. I have all Lee equipment but I want to use a digital scale as opposed to the Lee balance scale. I have looked all over the web and get really get any anwers as to which scale to use as someone says one is great then someone goes right behind them and says it's crap. I was thinking of getting the Hornady GS-1000 Electronic Digital Scale
Anyone have any thoughts on this scale?

Death smiles at us all, Marines smile back

Posts: 2 | Location: Fallbrook CA | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Here we go again................I vote beam. popcorn

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd say buy whatever you want, and if it does not work as advertised then return it.

My 2 cents- electronic scales are sensitive items like their mechanical brothers. If you are moderately careful and methodical chances are you will be happy with whatever you get.

Some things I have found that help-

Let the scale warm up/stabilize. Turn it on for 30 minutes before you use it and it can make the readings more consistent.

If you live in the country with the attendantelectrical service "issues", you may be able to get less wandering if you operate off a battery instead of the wall wart transformer. Also use it on a solid table, not something wobbly. Like a mechanical scale, protect it from drafts too.

Do all that stuff and most likely you'll not have any issues.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't let your experience with the Lee give you the idea that beam scales are unworkable. Some good ones are the Redding, RCBS 502 and Dillon. Anything's better than a Lee.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've been using an RCBS balance beam scale for 25 years now. It doesn't have to warm up and it's still dead on.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You guys in the "balance beam only" camp, go sort a couple hundred rounds of brass according to weight and come back and report how much better the beam scale is over its electronic brother.

The truth is that there is a place for most everything. Sometimes things overlap and sometimes they don't, or at least not too conveniently.

The original question asked was if anyone had thoughts or experiences with a particular electronic scale he wanted to purchase, not whether it was "better" than something mechanical. (FWIW it is the persons first and only post so we may not hear anything more from him)

But to say that an electronic scale is not useful is the same as neglecting to tell someone who ONLY has an electronic scale that the absolute hands-down fastest way to accurately dispense powder is to use a beam balance and a lee dipper set a quarter grain low and pour a dipper full into the pan and bring up the scale with a trickler.

So if you only have one or the other you'll most likely be fine, but to not realize that each has both advantages and disadvantages is a limiting mindset.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by angeluscorpion:
I just started reloading, have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing now but by no means an expert. I have all Lee equipment but I want to use a digital scale as opposed to the Lee balance scale. I have looked all over the web and get really get any anwers as to which scale to use as someone says one is great then someone goes right behind them and says it's crap. I was thinking of getting the Hornady GS-1000 Electronic Digital Scale
Anyone have any thoughts on this scale?

I wore out RCBS electronic scale took about 12yrs then replaced it with RCBS 1500 works great. It has a place on my bench so doesn't get moved and it's covered if not in use but I do check every time I use it to see that it's accurate.

I also have a RCBS 10-10 beam scale that's pretty accurate so I'll use both. Only problem with the electronic is they don't last forever and good to have a back up beam scale.

I would think the Hornady be a good scale.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one is smart enough to know that weighing cases is idle work for an idle mind, he'd know he doesn't need an electronic scale.
That said, I have an electronic scale but I will never be w/o a balance beam scale to proof it against.
I have the Lyman 1200 DPS and like it very well. I haven't had any probs with it at all. The 30 minute warm up isn't a prob as I usually have 30 minutes of "stuff" to do before I get down to actual dumping powder. I've had it several years now. It's the only one I've had so I can't comment on any others.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have 2 digital and one beam on the bench and use all 3. i really like the rcbs digital, but you must be careful in its use, but then again you have to be careful with a beam, bottom line - you have to be careful. one of the things about a beam vs digital is that you can miss a setting on a beam easily and have a over or under charge by one notch. doesn't happen on digital

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two scales, an old OHAUS beam balance scale I bought 40 years ago, and that is all I use for weighing powder for loading. I also have a Denver Instruments APX-153 that is used for weight sorting brass, and 22 Rimfire ammo.
They are dedicated for those purposes.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have a RCBS electronic scale that has been great. Sorry don't know the model number but I'm very pleased with it and it's speed

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking of getting the Hornady GS-1000 Electronic Digital Scale. Anyone have any thoughts on this scale?

A Search might get some input for you.

The only comment regarding the Hornady electronic scale that I've seen was someone commenting on the kit: he wished it had come with a beam scale. Don't now what that says about the electronic scale.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
quote:
I was thinking of getting the Hornady GS-1000 Electronic Digital Scale. Anyone have any thoughts on this scale?

A Search might get some input for you.

The only comment regarding the Hornady electronic scale that I've seen was someone commenting on the kit: he wished it had come with a beam scale. Don't now what that says about the electronic scale.

I have only seen five and they were all positive so with only five reviews and all of them positive that has me a bit skeptical.

Death smiles at us all, Marines smile back

Posts: 2 | Location: Fallbrook CA | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote