New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 bullet selection for my AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since I am getting a Dillon 550, I am looking for an all purpose bullet for my Double Star M4 Carbine 1/9" twist. The gun will wear an EOTech with Troy BUIS. This is a home defense gun and will be used a lot for practice & plinking.

I was looking at the vast array of bullets in the 55gr range and was overwhelmed. I bought a box of VMAX to start with, as it seems to shoot well in evey AR at the ranges I freguent. I also plan on getting a box of Nosler Ballistic Tips since that is by far my favorite all around bullet.

I was hoping on a suggestion for a cheaper bullet that might come close to the performance of the above 2 bullets, and not have the high price. I don't mind buying in volume after finding a lower end bullet that works.

Should I try to find a cheaper HP instead of FMJ, in case I need some SHTF ammo?

I do have some heavier bullets to try, but they might be a bit heavy for a short barrel 1/9" barrel.

I have the following:

55gr Vmax
70gr Berger VLD Match
80gr Sierra HPBT Match (pretty heavy for 1/9")

Any others I should try?

Thanks!

Gene

Posts: 114 | Location: USA, North Carolina | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd think a 69gr bullet will be about as heavy as you can go in a 1/9 twist. 77s take a 1/7 or 1/8 twist to stabilize.

55 grains will shoot in any ar - including the original 1/14 twist unless you are in the arctic.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I have shot 77 gr sierra's with great success out of a 1:9 ar-15. They will stabalize just fine. I have shot thousands of them, mostly at 600 yard rifle matches and practice sessions.

The 77gr sierra has a long bearing surface, making them accurate. The downside to them is they are not so good in the wind at long ranges. I have also shot 75gr hdy out of a 1:9 barrel and they seemed to do just fine.

I don't think you need 1:8 or 1:7.7 twist unless you are shooting 80 grainers, and they are too long to fit in the magazine. (I assume SHTF ammo is magazine fed).

Just my opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gene, you didn't indicate the price you were willing to pay for bullets and were rather vague at what you'll be using them for most often.

With the setup you have, here's what I would recommend.

Since you have a progressive press, I'd recommend you buy lots of the plain Jane 55 gr. FMJ-BTs. These are "good enough" to give you "fair" accuracy and cheap enough to get lots and lots of practice.

I would forget the 69 gr. and heavier "match" bullets. You will see no accuracy advantage in the setup you have and these bullets are light jacketed and expensive.

For your serious all-around defense/hunting accuracy bullets, I'd recommend something like Nosler 60gr. partitions.

If you want some accurate varmint bullets, go with the FB 52 gr. HPs (Berger, Sierra, Nosler, etc.) I would bet these prove to be the most accurate load at 300 yds. and under for your setup. But they aren't suitable for larger game..... like the Nosler 60 grain partitions.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Sierra bullet website-Stock Code: 1480
MatchKing
.22 Caliber (.224) 80 gr. HPBT Match (50 bullets)

Please Note!! This bullet requires a 1x7" to 1x8" twist barrel. Go to Bergers website, they list the twist with the bullets. ITS NOT THE WEIGHT, ITS THE LENGTH THAT MATTERS. A flat base or BT bullet will shoot more accurate than a fmjbt with the lead exposed base. http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had 1/9 223's put the 77gr Sierra's sideways at 100yds. I usually shoot Sierra 69's in 1/9 223's for general purpose shooting. If 77's shoot in your 1/9 good, but the reported accuracy problems at 600 might be stabilization problems because they normally shoot GREAT at 600yds even in wind. They are almost as good in the wind as the 80's.

Don't bother with 80gr bullets in a 1/9 twist rifle.............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
I've had a very good results with Benchmark powder when working up loads for the 69 gr. Sierra HPBT's. I started loading the 55 gr. Hornady V-Max as well as a standard 55 gr. FMJBT. Those are just fine for plinking or maybe 3-gun loads. But, I found that I was getting excellent groups at 100 yards with the 69 gr. loads in my 1-9 twist M&P15.

Best of luck, Happy New Year.

Psalm 109:8 "Let his days be few; And let another take his office."

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sonny

I suggest 2 bullets; the first being your serious social bullet. For that I suggest one of the ballistic tipped 55 gr bullets. I've tried Sierra, Hornady and Noslers and they all shoot the same - excellent. For the second bullet for practice and plinking I suggest the Winchester 55 gr M193 bullet. It is about as inexpensive as that will get any more. I load both over 26 gr of H335 and both give 3150-3200 fps out of my 20" barrled ARs.

I alsoload on a Dillon 550. The H335 meters very accurately. I do clean, FL size (suggest regular RXBS X die to eliminate triming and potential case head speration), clean lube off cases, clean primer pockets and inspect the cases as a seperate "single stage" operation before loading. Stage one on the 550 can be used for FL sizing. Once the cases are "prpped" thusly I load them progressively on the 550.

I use a NS die in stage one and prime. The NS die is not really necessary though. Stage two charges the case with powder. Stage three seats the bullet. Stage four crimps the case mouth in the canelure groove on the M193 bullet (I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die). Crimping is not done on non-canelured bullets.

Loading such I get excellent quality loads that are 100% reliable. I also use an EOTech on my "shooter" AR mounted over the handguard in front of the handle. With the M193 reloads I get 3 - 3 1/2" 20 shot groups at 200 yards off the bench. With the quality BT bullets I get 2" groups. Zero remains the same for both.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote