New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite .45-70 Full-House Loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to know what your favorite full-house loads are for the .45-70. I will be reloading for a Ruger No. 1 so shooting full house loads will not be a problem. Any loads provided will be worked up by me from at least 10% below max. Thanks!

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 59grs of 3031 behind the Hornady 350 gr RN. This is not a max load in my rifle (Siamese Mauser) but it shoots real good...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm and then go to Table #1...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
My best full house load with the 45/70 is 62gr. of RL-7 behind a Barnes 400gr.spitzer original. It cronos at 2235fps and has over 4000lbs of energy at the muzzle. Im shooting it out of a Ruger No.3 and it hurts at both ends! This load should not be fired in anything other than the Ruger No.1 or No.3 or a siamese mauser.::::::MV

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
What I found worked in my Siamese Mauser was 52 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 445 grain cast, gas checked slug.
I started using this load in 1975 and I've not found anything I liked better. I found it to be a nice compromise between power, accuracy and recoil.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Roger 4>
posted
I have found 61.5 grains of RL-7 ,,with a
Sierra 300 grain HP to work most wonderful
in my TC Encore,,this a MAX!!,,I also use
60 grains of RL -7 same 300 grain Sierra HP`s
in my Marlin CB 45/70,,both are very accurate
with the RL-7 and Sierra Loads.,,R-4

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Multi Vis
You stole my load!
The gun I use is a custom heavy barrel 1886 Winchester. And YES it kicks like hell. Although the weight of the big gun tames it in all positions except prone.
This is NOT NOT a safe load for standard 1886 Winchesters. Recoil broke the Magazine tube loose once, I had to get it modified with a larger retainer screw (broke it off).
I don't use the load on a regular basis, I consider it a proof load. Fun to slip in the mag when some macho type is firing your gun though. Couple of factory mush loads then wham!

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Multi Vis..That sound like a good load. I have a Ruger #1 that I had throated real loooong that I'm working up a load for using 400 gr Swift A-Frames. Last night, I loaded some more with Re-7..62, 63, and 63.5 grs. I'm looking for 2200 fps min. 61 grs gave me about 2110 fps. I don't know why I need that kind of power, but when I go to Newfie for moose next year, I want that sucker to think he got hit by a freight train!! (It feels like that to me, too)

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
The RL-7 loads I made up were intended for the dark timber elk here in the great northwest but sadly I never got the chance to plug one before quitting hunting. My No.3 has the factory short throat so I was doing compressed loads with the 400gr.Barnes,and I could only get that amount of powder into a Winchester fire formed case but not a Remington case. My best guess is that the pressure is at or over the limits for the 45/70 but still safe for hunting. I was getting about 10 reloads before I started getting case separations. The Barnes were the most accurate bullet I tired in this gun. Now I see that Nosler has a 300gr.Partition in .458 so may just my have to drag the ole boomer out again,never know when one may catch a rouge rhino in the garden!!!::::::MV

<Ralph Kelly>
posted
58.0 grains of IMR 3031 under Remington 405 gr. in my Ruger #1. This gives me vel. 0f 2050 and makes my 45-70 a legitimate 200 yd rifle. The recoil is something else though!
I have taken nine deer with this load from 50-190 yards, none went farther than 10 yards from where hit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through a long process of stress calcultion on my NEF handi rifle 45-70.
It turns out it can take more than any sammi registered pressure, but I started at the bottom. I loaded 40 gr IMR4895 and 405 gr Trapdoor load. It kicked me much harder than anything I have ever experienced. I had to reduce to 30 gr, and then it kicks like a light wieght 30-06.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 53 grains of IMR 4198 under a Barnes 350 grain bullet. Recoil is a little stiff but accuracy is great and the effect is devastating. I tried IMR 3031, but there was a lot of unburned powder in the form of ejecta on the ground. Also a lot of residue in the barrel. Anyone else experiencing the same problem with IMR 3031?