New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 powders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone got any data on 4350 or 414 in .223, or are these not compatible.

thanx,
Mark

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have 4831sc or 2520. Is it possible to load .223 with these.

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The H414 can be used in the .223, as can the 2520. The .223 needs a ball powder. The powder charge is small and the primer needs the smallish surface area of the grains to completely ignite it. H414 and 2520 are fast-burning powders; they generate their pressure in a very short time. The others you mentioned are extruded powders and they are best suited to larger-capacity cases like the .30-06 for the 4350. I use H4831SC in my 300WSM. These powders have a slower pressure curve as they usually have bigger, heavier bullets in front of them, which require more time to get moving, so the slower rate of ignition...

There is a wealth of info on the web about the .223 and how to load it, et cetera. Look around; you'll find everything you need to know...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Personally I would concider any of the powders you have as bening too slow for the 223. You need something in the burn rate of Varget or faster to get the most from your cartridge. The type, ball, extruded, flake, doesn`t matter as long as the powder is a proper choice for the cartridge.
I like W743 for a ball powder or Benchmmark or Varget for extruded, depending on the weight of bullet I`m loading.

BTW H414 is the same stuff as W760. It was developed to compete with H4350 for applications where a ball powders density would make a better fit then a bulkier stick and is close in burn rate although not the same.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i agree with ol Joe. medium powder. alliant clams RL-15 powder is excellent for .223

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark you don't say what type rifle you are loading for or what weight bullets, of the powders you list 2520 would be the best choice and Accurate has data for gas gun with it. I would say that 4350,4831 and 414 are too slow for best performance, but Hodgdons has plenty of data for H414 and the 223 starting at 40 gr bullets and data for 4350 and 4831 starting at 60 grs and up bullets, so it can be used. With 2520 Accurate shows it produces highest velocity of all powders listed with bullets weighing 60 grs up to 80 grain, it has a burn speed similar to Varget or 4064. I would definately try the 2520 if I had some on hand, published data available for bullets from 40-80 grs.
Accurate #2 manual
223-24 " barrel
55 gr Nos bt
2520-24.8 to 27.5 grs, 2837-3224 fps(that's not too bad velocity for 223 and 55 gr) Nosler #3 has data for 2520 in 223 also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is from a very complete burn rate chart I have:
#170 IMR4064
#172 H Varget
#173 ACC 2520
#188 RL15
There is also data in Speer #12-13 and 14 with 223 and 2520 powder, 62 gr fmjbt it is listed as highest velocity

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
Personally I would concider any of the powders you have as bening too slow for the 223. You need something in the burn rate of Varget or faster to get the most from your cartridge. The type, ball, extruded, flake, doesn`t matter as long as the powder is a proper choice for the cartridge.
I like W743 for a ball powder or Benchmmark or Varget for extruded, depending on the weight of bullet I`m loading.

BTW H414 is the same stuff as W760. It was developed to compete with H4350 for applications where a ball powders density would make a better fit then a bulkier stick and is close in burn rate although not the same.

I agree with Joe. I wass attempting to find a fast accurate load for my .223's using Varget and the 40 g. Nosler BT. I wasn't able to get the speed that I wanted with Varget and ending up using RL-7 as per Seafire2's recommendation in some Lake City once fired brass.. Wow what a combo, speed is around 3925 fps from a 26" barrel and accuracy is wonderful. Just the combo I was looking for. See if it works for you

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL7 is a bit faster than many prefer for the 223
While Varget is a touch too slow.

you want speed with 40gr bullets? try some Benchmark or some VV N143 or N120

My bet would be Benchmark.

I like RL7 for low flash and slightly less report in a long varmint barrel, but you really get into pressure issues before it's anywhere near as fast as RL12 or RL15.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
RL7 is a bit faster than many prefer for the 223
While Varget is a touch too slow.

you want speed with 40gr bullets? try some Benchmark or some VV N143 or N120

My bet would be Benchmark.

I like RL7 for low flash and slightly less report in a long varmint barrel, but you really get into pressure issues before it's anywhere near as fast as RL12 or RL15.

AD

What you said is interesting. Tell me more about your experience with RL-12 and RL-15. My only trip into the RL land has been with RL-7. If you have velocity figures and amounts of charges that would be interesting to see how they turn out. How is the accuracy with these two powders?

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote