New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra GameKing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm loading my 375 H&H with Sierra Gameking 250 grain SBT.
I should be getting aprox. 2700 f.p.s at the muzzle. I want to know how effective is this bullet on large game?? (NON-DANGEROUS)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot anything with the 250gr 375, but in the 225gr 358 I like the gameking performance with the 358, but it is a bit soft when driven faster in my 35 Whelen improved. I would think for deer and such it would be OK. Larger game with keeping in mind speed, try the nosler 260gr BT I have heard it is simular to the 338 and above to be designed for heaver game. I know the 358 225gr is built quite stout.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hglass,

It is a very effective bullet on medium sized game.

I have shot it at 2,850 fps and always got pass-throughs on european wild boar and red deer.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
.375 hole
(sd is lower than .25)
2700 FPS
decently constructed thinskin bullet...

I recken that will be VERY effective on letting the air IN critters...

the bullet would probably fragment in a buff, but I have a friend shoot a 375 JDJ with the same bullet at 2150 (i think, might be 2200) and has taken everything from eland/kudu to warthog and osterich with it

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
For things like elk and moose, I'd step up 10 grains and go to the 260-grain Nosler Accubond. It is accurate like a Ballistic Tip, has a high B.C., but holds together better than a non-bonded core bullet.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
260 gr accubond.....awesome slug! Save the Sierras for targets

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having actually USED the 250 Sierra, I would say that it is on the hard side. Sierra says that it is the same alloy as their 300 grainer, I think a 3% antimony, and that's pretty hard for bullet metal. The 300 has a reputation for acting almost like a solid on some game (but I hasten to add that I gather this from anecdotal information, not from personal experience.) I don't like the concept of a hard alloy, since it is slow to expand, but yet prone to shatter if it should hit strong resistance. Why they made the ogive shorter rather than longer on the 250 is certainly a puzzle to me.

At any rate, I know that this bullet zipped through a (admittedly somewhat smallish) black bear without much sign of upset, and gave total broadside penetration on a cow elk at very long range. These were loaded to 2800 fps. On the plus side, I have found it very accurate, pushed by about as much 4350 or H414 that I could stuff in the case.

The next bullet in this weight range that I try in my .375 will definately be the 260 Accubond.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 250gr worked fine for me on 9 plains game animals this past June. Springbuck, Kudu, 2 Gemsbuck, Impala, Bushbuck, Reedbuck, Blesbuck and Zebra. 6 were complete pass thru. The animals that kept the bullet were the Impala, Springbuck and Kudu (found under skin on the off side).

Forgot to add; they also worked good on a big cow elk this past November. 2 passthru's, one quartering away and the other up the poop shute exiting behind the front shoulder at 125 yards.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote