New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please remind me again how one property sets up the die for crimping bullets in 30-30 loads. Obviously I want to get the crimp right on the crimping marks on the bullet. (Sierra 150 grain)

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
First and foremost the brass must be trimmed to length.
Once all the brass is the same length, Back the die off about 1/4" from the shell holder. Seat your bullet to the length you want.
Back off the seating stem so it cannot touch the bullet.
Loosen the lock screw and turn the die down to you feel it just touch the neck of the loaded cartridge. Now turn the down 1/4 turn and check to see if the mouth is starting to crimp into the bullet ( no gap). You want just enough to hold the bullet to be fed and close the gap around the bullet/case mouth.
Too far down for a tighter crimp will bulge the shoulder making the loaded round useless.
Once you have a good crimp,drop the seating stem down to just touch the top of your bullet.
Your now ready to load the next rounds for bullet seating and crimping.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The easiest way is to spend $12 on a Lee factory crimp die. It is a collet style, not too critical about length, and won't collapse a shoulder if you missed one when trimming. Great invention!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rapidrob; seat all bullets with crimp function of the die backed off. Back off the seating stem and adjust (lower the die) until you get the crimp you want. Many can adjust their dies so the they get a crimp as they seat the bullet, but I feel it's easier and more "positive" to separate the steps...

My Anchor holds...

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Oregon Coast | Registered: 03 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, I've always had better success making it a two step process. Seat the bullet(s) and then go back and crimp as a seperate operation.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No time for doing it twice; I do what Rob said. On a 30-30 you will not notice the difference.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience crimping will often push the bullet down the case just a tiny bit. So don't seat the bullet to the top of the crimping groove before applying the crimp. I will often play with the seating depth and crimping at the same time and not lock the die in place until getting the depth and crimp I want.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Go with Robs advice;thats how I do it + it works.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing for sure. There is definitely a fine line between a good crimp and going too far. Now I have to get out the old bullet puller!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes of course, you have to adjust the seating depth and the crimp depth at the same time; otherwise you will buckle your necks.
Oh, looks like you learned that already.
However, do not pull the bullets; just run them into the full length sizer a little to iron out the buckle. Just enough to iron out the brass; it will take almost no effort. Otherwise you will resize your bullets to a 306.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean because the crimp will squeeze them down to the crimp width when I pull them unless I straighten the brass out first before I pull them?

If a person is real gently knocking out good primers can they be used again?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No; that is impossible.
I mean run the loaded rounds into your FL die, just enough to make the buckled neck go back straight so they will chamber in your rifle. . Then shoot them.
Of course, you will want to remove your recapping rod first.
That is what I would do, and have done.
But if you want to start over, yes, you can use the primers again, but why not just remove your decapping pin first? Unless you are using Lee dies, in which case, re-use the primers.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
The easiest way is to spend $12 on a Lee factory crimp die. It is a collet style, not too critical about length, and won't collapse a shoulder if you missed one when trimming. Great invention!

100%

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed what seems to me to be a strange thing about the 30-30s that I have. I never knew this before. Even with factory ammo, the cartridge will not slide all the way into the chamber. It will stick out about 3/8ths of an inch and takes a bit of pressure to push all the way in. On all of my bolt action rifles the cartridge will drop right in all the way, whether it is my reload or a factory round.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have eight Model 94 30-30s and none of them do that. If factory ammo does not fall right in, there is an issue with your chamber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears that the issue is not with the chamber. Rather, it is that the lifter, or whatever that part is called that lifts the cartridge and guides it into the chamber, is sitting high so it stops the cartridge from easily going into the chamber completely. I have had this particular rifle for a long
time and never noticed that before.

And no, I am not going to grind it down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
your description is vague, but I suspect your bullet needs to seat deeper or you need to full length resize some more and many lever guns have sloppy chambers mostly in front of the base..If it feeds factory then that's the oal one should use on a lever action as well as the base diameter..

Hope this helps. Sometimes its hard to solve a problem without gun in hand. A round that's too long interferes with the lift of the round. A round that won't chamber has not been full length resized, could be the die or your not allowing for the "bump" required to fully resize a case in most instances.

Another problem is not trimming your brass every reload with a lever gun, and I suggest using a file trim die as its more accurate.

Rapid Bob and 440 gave you the answers, both work just fine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
His chambering problem is not ammo related; as he stated, his cartridge carrier (lifter) is sitting too high. If he has a Model 94, there are at least 4 different versions of this for 30-30s, from pre 64 milled, to post 64 stamped, cast, and milled. Anyway, the fix is easy, either replace it, weld up and re-fit the carrier stop on the underside of it, or grind off the nose (easiest fix) But the OP said he does not want to do that. Or it could be bent; the stamped ones are not made very well. But that is all assuming he has a M94; if he has a Marlin, then that is easy to fix too. Actually easier.
Those carriers are pretty reliable.