Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting bullets and loads f/30-30 contender
 Login/Join

posted
I just purchased a T/C G2 in 30-30 Win. for my daughter. I need some information on bullets and loads for this rifle. It has the 23" barrel and I would like to use sptizer or spire point bullets in it if I can find some that will expand reliably at 30-30 velocities. All assistance is appreciated.

Posts: 46 | Location: Soso, MS | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
I find the Remington 125 grain spire points do quite well at .30-30 velocities. There are also good selections in the 130-135 grain size designed for single shot pistols (SSP). Also, the Speer 130 gr. FP is not that flat of a point and makes a fine deer load. If you are looking at 150 and above, the pickings get slimmer but since you said it was for a daughter, I assume a lighter recoil would be a plus.

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just did some shooting and chronograghed some limited loads but due to rain stopped short but heres what I have. All shot from a Marlin 336 30-30 20inch barrel.
130gr Speer Flatnose 39.0 grains Winchester WW748
comes out to 2535fps average for 5 shots.

150gr remington corelokt factory load a dismal 2152fps average

150gr Speer Nitrex factory load 2300fps average
unfortunately Speer has discontinued the Nitrex line.
I have used the 130gr Speer with 39.0 WW748 on deer and all I can say is its the best bullet load combo I have ever used as far as penetration and weight retention outside of a 170gr Partition.

Posts: 12 | Location: Deering N.H. | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you. I had not considered the Speer 130 gr FP butit looks like it will be perfect for my application. Now, to burn some powder... I'll let you know how this goes.

Posts: 46 | Location: Soso, MS | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote