THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much to hotrod old model Vaquero 45's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted
I love shooting my 45 Colt Old model Vaquero with a decent amount of Vihtavuori N110 and 300 grainers (at 1100 fps).

Is this legitimate or handgun abuse?

Only downside I find is that 357 mag's doesnt feel a lot different from 38 Special afterwards.

Lars

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
No problem running Blackhawk only loads in it. Its built very heavily. I shoot vaqueros in 44 mag myself. You can generally equal or exceed 44 mag performance in a heavy loaded 45 colt.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Thanks, its always great to get the answer you want Smiler !

Recoil is addictive as long as you dont get some damn scope in your forehead.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That load can easily be handled by that revolver. However, that said the more hot loads you shoot thru it the quicker it will need "tuning" done. It will over time shoot loose. How long or how many times would you want to rev your auto engine at full throttle? Get the picture? Some is ok....a lot is bad and abusive.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading some 45 Colt for my Blackhawk lately & for the most part have been sticking to the upper end standard 45 colt loads. Unless I have a particular reason I don't really feel the need to go to the top end 'Ruger only' loads. Just my way of doing things.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote