New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 and suitable powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
my dies and cases ought to be here any day. i've already got a bunch of speer 270 grn bullets. i now need to know what powder works best. i've got imr4350, h4831, win760, imr4064, and varget. suggestions? i don't mind buying another powder but would like to use one of the ones i already have, unless another type is just a lot better. thanks...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hi bud - Varget, the 4064's; 4895's; 760/H414 and Ray's favorite, R15, are all great choices for the 9.3. I've seen some loads using the 4350's, but, have never been able to get enough in the case to generate decent velocities. Not that the 9.3 relies on velocity to get the job done, but, why sacrifice velocity/trajectory if you don't have to?

R-WEST

[ 10-14-2003, 21:33: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
We've been useing RL15 in my two buddies 9.3's with good results. Last weekend we tryed some VV550 in one of them. It has a 23 1/2" Lothar Walther barrel. We got 2780fps and no signs of pressure at all and a .710" group. Brass is Norma with Fed 210 primers. Bullet was a 250 North Fork. Start at 63gr and work up. Good luck [Smile]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
H414
Re15

In that order.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies. i guess i'll start with H414 and see what happens. again...thanks...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Phil>
posted
Lot's of great advice above. I've used Reloader 15 extensively with many different 9.3mm bullets with very good velocity, standard deviation and group size numbers. Don't think you can go wrong there. I'm going to spend some time with H414 and perhaps the VV550 next myself.

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Norma 203-B is an good power for 9,3X62 with 285 grain bullets.

I guess it quite simular to RL 15

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bud

This is some data I got from a fellow 9.3x62 nut.

My 250-grain Ballistic Tip load is 58.0 grains Reloader 15; Winchester WLR primers; Norma brass; loaded to 3.350" overall length. Shoots very accurately from a CZ550 American with most 3-shot groups sub .75 MOA and a few sub .5 MOA. Chrono results are 2,515 average with vey low standard deviation. Can't help with any field performance with the BT's but I'd be surprised if they didn't work very well.

Remeber to start 10% below anyone's "pet" load and work up safely.

Good luck - you're going to enjoy the CZ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This load is for Nosler ballistic tips and Norma brass, but as you can see RL15 makes an outstanding powder in the 9.3x62. I've tried this load with Lapua brass and CCI primers in my 550 Lux with excellent results. I have only fired this load in the preliminary stages but I can already see the accuracy and power potential. I started with a starter load and worked up to the 58gr max, and the closer I got to max the tighter the groups got.

If you're reading this Phil, thanks alot the load works fantasic. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Cool]

Posts: 43 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks trailblazer and everyone else. looks like i may have some experimenting to do. no problem...i always need an excuse to spend a day at the range [Big Grin] looks like RL15 is getting the most "votes" here so i'll start with it instead of 414. cheers...bud