New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-mm08 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new Weatherby Super Predatormaster in 7mm-08. CDNN had a great buy on seconds, and Weatherby assures me the flaws would be only cosmetic. Even so, the gun was nearly $1000.
Factory loads with 140 gr bullets were a dissapointment, around 1.5moa. Good enough to pass muster for the accuracy gaurantee, but not what you would expect from a gun with these features at that price. I have hand loaded 139gr Hornady SST's over W748, and 140gr Barnes X over W760, and gotten a couple of sub (just) moa groups and will try some TSX bullets tomorrow. Any pet loads for these bullets out there? I have checked the bedding screw torque, and scrupulously cleaned the barrel during break in. I've fired maybe 200 rounds, and after a little more load tinkering, it may go at the next gun show. It just doesn't seem that it should be that finickey.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Marty: I am sad to say that you will probably take a significant loss if you sell it at a gunshow. CDNN is currently selling them at $789.99. Just got their newest catalogue a couple of days ago. If it were me, I would experiment further. I doubt that I would use 748, and 760 is a better choice. I take it you like to work with ball powders. Ramshot has a couple that might help. Big Game and their new powder, Hunter. Big Game is slightly faster than 760,just barely though and is about like H-380 and Hunter is slightly slower than the 4350s, but won't have to be compressed to reach top velocity. If I were working with a 7mm-08 right now, without a doubt, I would be trying Hunter in it. In fact, I am thinking of buying one because of it! I have been using a couple of Ramshot powders, True Blue (Pistol) and X-Terminator that is similar in speed to 748 and the Ramshot powders have been everthing advertised. Hunter would be toward the slow end range of powders for the 7mm-08, but because it is a dense ball powder without temperature issues, it's a year round powder in all climates and good load density would be a bonus and it burns clean. It offers very good velocity potential with very low standard deviations and Johan Loubser, the ballistician for Ramshot and Accurate should be able to help you with load data. (800) 497-1007 or http://www.ramshot.com the website doesn't show data yet for Hunter in 7mm-08, but that is being corrected.

If you want to try an extruded, Varget is a good one, although a bit on the fast side and the 4350s work well at the slower end. IMR 4064 is also great but lacks the velocity potential of the 4350s in the 7mm-08. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Remington Mountain Rifle in 7-08 that I have been working up loads for as well.

I avoided 748 and 760 on purpose, I just do not use ball powders in anything any more. They are just too erratic on the chronograph and are way too temperature sensitive.

Point is, I have tried IMR 4350, RL 19, H 4350 and Varget so far. To date my best results have been with Varget or H 4350.

Do not be afraid to compress the powder when using full charges of H 4350, that case will be quite full.

Shot a big old wild hog with a 140 Nosler Accubond over a max load of H 4350 the other day, it worked great.

Good luck on making that thing shoot. The new Weatherby rifles have been a dissapointment lately. Two of my buddies bought new Accumarks in .257 Wby Mag and neither of them shot worth a darn till they bedded them. One of them will still only occasionally make a group less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards. These guys went directly to the Weatherby office which is less than a 100 miles from here and were pretty much told that Weatherby did not want to hear about it!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Ditto:

My best results are with H4350 with 140 grain bullets (TSX - 49.5 CCI 200) Work from 48.0 to 50.0 grains. The case will be quite full but I have not had any loads to 'grow'. Sub MOA in my rifle.

With 120 grain bullets, Varget has given me the best velosity/accuracy.

I don't have access to any Ramshot powders.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I have a new Weatherby Super Predatormaster in 7mm-08. CDNN had a great buy on seconds, and Weatherby assures me the flaws would be only cosmetic. Even so, the gun was nearly $1000.
Factory loads with 140 gr bullets were a dissapointment, around 1.5moa. Good enough to pass muster for the accuracy gaurantee, but not what you would expect from a gun with these features at that price. I have hand loaded 139gr Hornady SST's over W748, and 140gr Barnes X over W760, and gotten a couple of sub (just) moa groups and will try some TSX bullets tomorrow. Any pet loads for these bullets out there? I have checked the bedding screw torque, and scrupulously cleaned the barrel during break in. I've fired maybe 200 rounds, and after a little more load tinkering, it may go at the next gun show. It just doesn't seem that it should be that finickey.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Marty, I've only shot 150BTs, 150MKs and 120 Hornady HPs through my 700S/S. 39.5grs. of Varget is used for the Noslers, 39grs. RE15 for the MKs. Both loads will put 5 shots under 1/2" @100yds.(allowing for barrel cooldown after the first 2 shots). I've used 760 with the Noslers and wasn't too impressed, thats when I switched to Varget and RE15, the only 2 powders I'll use for 139-150grain bullets. If you don't get 3 shots under 1/2", the rifle needs to go. thumbdown Then go buy a new Remington SPS in 7mm08 and you should have a shooter. But, like I've said, after the first 2 shots my barrel is quite hot, so I let the barrel cool for about 2 min. and shoot again. Rem. brass and primers are used exclusively. Though, I'm using CCI primers in the Nosler load, since I pulled all the bullets when they were loaded with 760 and reloaded with Varget. Either primer should work very well. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty, I agree with JAY, I have tried ererthing from 3031 to 4350 I too have settled on VARGET or RL-15 with my 140 sierra B.T. 44.0 gr of 15 with WLR primer and 24" barriel at 2944 fps will all but lock holes at 100 meters.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on conditions I will shoot the 139gr SST's in silhouette hunting rifle class out to 385m. I also use this bullet on Muley and Pronghorn with great results. Based on my own experience and that of others (some natl champ contenders and past natl champs), three powders are a must to try with the 7-08, IMR4064 and RL15 for the lighter bullets and Varget for the heavier. H414 might be another since it gives very good velocity, but I have not been able to get good accuracy with it.

41-43grIMR4064/Fed210GMMatch/R-P brass with the 139's nets 2740-2850fps in my stock Rem700ADL 22" barrel and less than 3/4MOA @ 200m in not so perfect conditions. The 43gr is MAX and maybe too hot for other guns, so approach with care.

I use 168MK's for 500m and somtimes 385m. 41-42.3grVarget w/other components mentioned above operates in the same pressure range as above for approx 2560-2680fps.

Good luck and don't give up on this cartridge, it is a winner in many circles.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, one and all. I started with the Floridabigfish suggestions, since I also have no local source for Ramshot powders. Using the 140 TSX bullets from 46-50 gr of H4350, all groups were under 2.5 inches at 200 yards, and most under 2. At 46.5 the 5 shot group was an honest 1 inch at 200. I don't think that rifle is going anywhere. Still need to load up some more to chronograph. Of note is that the current Barnes manual maxes out at 45gr!! No signs of overpressure even at 50.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the TSX bullets in the 7mm08. The best I have done with the 140 TSX with 43.8 gr of varget is 3/4" groups. That is really good enough but I want it to be as good as my 160 Sierra HPBT which gives me 3/8" groups with 43.8 gr of H 4350 EXT. 38.0 gr of IMR 4895 will give almost as tight of a group with the 160 Sierra. I shoot a Rem 700 varmint with a 20" barrel that has been glassed and floated.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote