New
Find
Notify
Tools

PLEASE HELP ME AGAIN 7x57 OAL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen I use the split case method to determine OAL. I assembled 4 resized and cut cases with 4 splits. I put a Hornady 175gr psp flat base bullet to just get a grip in the case mouth and chambered it. I did this 8 times and the cartrige extracted gave a average of 81.85mm. My rifle is a CZ 550 Lux. I backed of 2mm and smoked the bullet and rechambered the round again. I did this a few times and there appears to be soot taken off in a sort of circle , I could not see rifling marks engraved. I loaded a dummy round and it fits my magazine box easily and also the bolt closes with minimal force. I still see a shiny ring on the smoked bullet but no rifling engravings or is the shiny ring the start of the lands or ? Advice please! How will these bullets perform on bushbuck and wild pig at a velocity of around 2350fps at under 200m? I seated the bullets to a col of 78mm which is what Somchem list as max OAL for the 7x57. I am using Somchem S335 which I believe is the equal to IMR3031. Can anybody shed any light? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm not gonna comment on the ring thing you'll figure that out yourself.
but as long as you are not jamming the bullet into the rifling you are good.

the load you show will flatten just about anything the x57 is good to shoot.
which covers just about anything 4 legged up to @ 450kg or so.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't make it a habit of giving reloading advice but have reloaded enough in the last ten years or so to know that after you get the measurement to lands to seat bullet some .020" deeper in case or more for a hunting bullet or I do anyways. Times I get them close to lands and see what a rifle will do but most are not ever that close.
The 175 grain I shoot gets 48 grains of RL22 and seated out to 3.275", I figure this 7x57 Chilean Mauser 98 would take about anything I point at in my parts....should for what you claim you will as well.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is oal? I take it you mean col? (Cartridge overall length)

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
QuickLoad says that the COL with that Hornady bullet should be 3.071 inches or 78 MM. The case length should be 2.244 or 57 MM.

What is right is what fits in the magazine and cycles in your rifle. I find 3 to 6 thousands off the lands works in my rifles. I do not own a 7X57.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard I meant to say COL Smiler I picked your brain too much on the fone this week so I posted here so as not to hassle you!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Gerard I meant to say COL Smiler I picked your brain too much on the fone this week so I posted here so as not to hassle you!

oldI still use the term OAL and am not alone. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2mm is more jump than many of us use. Rather than the split case use an unaltered case if the bolt will not close seat a little deeper. Take the firing pin assy out of your bolt so you can feel the bolt closing pressure more easily.
If you think your round has been seated too short you can pull it out a little with an inertia bullet puller.
Once you think you have the exact number try a different bullet and case. Eventually you will figure out what to use.
The split case method has its merits but it does not tolerate feeding.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,
One is never too old to learn. I looked around a bit and oal (as in overall length) is in widespread use. In fact, the abbreviation is used in several industries. Col (as in cartridge overall length), is peculiar to firearms alone.

I must say I have always regarded it as a misnomer but, there it is.