Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck turning question
 Login/Join

posted
I have some 6MM Remington cases made from LC-67 match 30-06 brass. I sized them and the neck is too thick. I tried to turn then with Forster trimmer neck turner, but the pilot will not go in even with a small bit if STP. I could force the pilot into the case, but I don't want to do that. Should I shoot them in my Ruger varmint rifle since it has a more generous chamber then my 40X or Schillen and then turn the necks?
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I have not neck turned any cases in 35 years or so.

Posts: 11 | Location: East of Knoxville | Registered: 11 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you load these cases and try to shoot them in your Ruger with the larger chamber you should make up a dummy and see if it enters the chamber. It may not and even if it does there may not be enough clearance in the neck area for the cartridge to safely fire it.

While I have a Forster case trimmer I have not used the turning feature. I turn case necks for the .256 Newton and 280 Ross on the lathe after turning a pilot on a piece of tool steel and that seems to go faster than setting up the the trimmer. Alternately, you could alter or have made a slightly smaller pilot.

Bill

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will load a dummy and try it. I thought about seating an 85 g Sierra BT and then pulling it to see if it expanded the neck any. I could get a friend to cut it down slightly.
Thanks Bill

Posts: 11 | Location: East of Knoxville | Registered: 11 January 2021Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Easiest way is to reduce the diameter of the pilot, and buy another one for normal purposes.

Very easy to do.

Put the pilot in a drill, and run 200 sand paper around it.

To turn the necks evenly, you need the pilot slightly tight.

Adjusting how much to take from the outside.

And as your rifle does not have a fitted neck, take only what is necessary to load it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68680 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
A loaded rounds neck outside diameter should not be larger then .276"

Forester has reamers, if neck turning requires to much metal be removed.

https://www.forsterproducts.co...andard-neck-reamers/

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the best thing to do is to turn down the pilot, but it might work to take the sizing ball out of your die, size the cases, then ream the necks. I really don't remember whether the reaming is supposed to be done before sizing or after. If needed, Forster makes reamers on custom diameter.

The joys of reloading!

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might take a chamber cast to start with, thats always a good idea..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Sounds like to me, you need to ream the cases, then worry about turning the outside of the neck if necessary.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
Sounds like to me, you need to ream the cases, then worry about turning the outside of the neck if necessary.

Jerry

Not a bad way to go but be sure to polish the inside of the neck if you ream (I used a cleaning mop, chucked in a drill, with Flitx on it, otherwise the grip will crush the case shoulder when bullet seating. Been there, done that when I reamed to remove a donut in 6mm WSM cases.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Short of a bench rest chamber there is very seldom a justification for inside or outside neck reaming, factory and even most custom rifle have good necks, so if you ream they become undersized and the over expand and thus work harden at one or two shots, its become a sloppy mess..that is the reason to take a chamber cast and know the exact specs before messing up a lot of brass..Ive seen this happen so many times by new reloading buffs..

Even if you have come up with a 0 tolerance chamber or neck, you have a bum rifle for hunting that tends to jam, wear out brass, and you just bought someone else's problem with ill advised technique..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote