New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i own a savage 12fvss in 22-250 with 1-12 twist rate? can someone please explain which bullet will shoot better in that rifle. like 5o gr. bullets versus 40 gr. bullets. i own too a 308 cal. remington pss ltr with 1-9 twist, which bullet will shoot better a 165 gr. or 168 gr. bullet

thanks sambo

Posts: 78 | Location: DFW, TEXAS | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Sambo, I believe you are fortunate to have a .22/250 with a 1/12" twist. It will allow you to use heavier (longer) bullets than a 1/14" twist barrel. Pointed bullets up to at least 60 grains, like the new Nosler 60 grain Partition, plus boattailed bullets, should work well in your gun. Mine is 1/14", and does not do well with the new Nosler. As regards your .308, there is not enough difference between a 165 and 168 to notice. Your twist is very fast for a .308!! I used 220-grain roundnose bullets in my pre-64 M70 Win. Featherweight, and it shot OK with a 1/12" twist. I think you could use bullets as long as the Sierra 220 grain Matchking in yours with good accuracy!! [Cool]

<fa18hooker>
posted
that sure is a fast twist for .308...that doesn't sound like a factory barrel. the problem i've run into with REALLY fast twist barrels (1:7 for .223, 1:10 for .308) is that the barrels wear faster when shot with heavy bullets...the barrel will stabilize them, but at the expense of barrel wear.