THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Powder for 200grain loads in 300 RUM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What powder have you tried with that bullet weight in the 300 RUM?

I was thinking that RE-25 or Retumbo might be the way to go.................

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Retumbo was made to shoot 200gr bullets in the 300 RUM:

My load is relatively light, you can probably push the velocity up 100fps or so, but it's shoots so well were it is I ain't changing a thing. I took an Elk at pretty long range with this very load and rifle.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle likes Retumbo but RL 25 is certainly an option.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded 200 grain North Forks for a buddy with "djpaintles's load". He took the load to New Mexico and took a trophy 6 X 6 Bull Elk at 420 yards with it. Needless to say he was pleased with the loads. He recovered two slugs and they appear in North Forks site under the .308 caliber 200 grain bullet section. Look at then at www.northforkbullets.com. The Accubond group is also very impressive. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Thanks for the Report phurley5!..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair I use AR2225 behind the 200 gr Nosler Accubond. Mild load at 88gr I think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Retumbo was made to shoot 200gr bullets in the 300 RUM:

My load is relatively light, you can probably push the velocity up 100fps or so, but it's shoots so well were it is I ain't changing a thing. I took an Elk at pretty long range with this very load and rifle.......................DJ
Possibly made to shoot accubonds but,not every 200gr bullet.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in a 300 Winchester, my powder choice for 200 and 220 grainers has always been H 1000...

with a 220 grainer, it will not break 3000 fps, but comes close at 2950 to 2975 fps...

and it sure is a flat shooter.. especially with the Nosler 220 grain Partition...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote