New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39 equivalent loads in a .308?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am putting together a youth whitetail rifle for my 9 year old to use this season. He will be using a Rem Model 7 in .308 in a youth stock. I was thinking to load up some 7.62x39 equivalent loads to use for whitetails inside 60 yards most likely.

I have Rem 125 PSP bullets(among others) and was planning to use them. I have also considered using the 170g 30/30 type bullet at about 2000fps. I am trying to keep the recoil down. The Model 7 with full power .308 loads gets my attention.

Do any of you have any proven loads in this power range? Thanks. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
You could look at the Federal reduced recoil load using a 170 grain at 2000 fps. If it is accurate in that mod 7 it just might be the ticket.The recoil in a mod 7 should be somewhat close to a 170 grain load out of a 30-30 in the 6 to 6-1/2 pound range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some 125gr serrias for amy 100lb 5'1" niece in her 308 at 2500 works nice and not much recoil.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Search the AR forums for Blue Dot. I get the velocities your after in a 7.62x54R with that powder and a 123gr Hornady.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ON the blue dot... Start at about 18 grains and work up to a max of about 22 grains...

Recoil will be much less.. even less than a conventional load in a 30/30... My recommendation on bullets would be the ballistic tips tho... They open up very well at lower velocities.. yet penetrate quite deep at the lower vel...

A 150 grainer would be my first choice.. however Nosler does make a 125 grainer that does quite well....

Cheers
seafire ( that Blue Dot guy)
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I wouldn,t turn dowm a hunt with the 123 gr SKS bullets but if I had a choice I'd use the 170 gr 30-30 bullets. They are dwsigned to work at that velocity and have been doing so for 100 years +. If I was determined to shoot lighter bullet, I would look at the Barnes Bullets designed for the 30-30 at 159 gr or the Tripple Shock 130 gr.

Whatever you dhoose, best of luck on such a wondeful adventure!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I have a can of Blue Dot that is looking for some good use. If so I will try some.

I used the Lee reloading manual to calculate a 2100fps load with the 125g bullet using Reloder 7. The charge wt came out to 36.8g; I loaded a few of these and let my son shoot some in the yard today. They seemed very managable for him and he busted a couple of chert rocks about 4" square offhand/iron sights at about 20 yards. He was pleased. It would be interesting to chronograph this load to see how close it is to the 'predicted' 2100fps per the Lee formula. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote