Find
Notify
Tools

130Grain TTSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodford
posted
I'm new to reloading and think that I have the entire set up required.

My first 'kick at the can' will be 130grain Barnes TTSX for a .270.

I've been reading (and downloading) lots of information off the net with respect to procedures and what not. I downloaded Barnes's spec sheet off their website and it shows a COAL of 3.300". When I set up my press to seat the lead I still can see the upper most band.

Is this normal? or should I seat the bullet lower so I can not see any of the bands. I've read somewhere that it should be 0.050" off the band(s).

Thanks for the help

Posts: 35 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever made up a "dummy cartridge" to check how long you can hang the bullet out?? To do so take a fired case and size the mouth enough that you can seat a bullet with your fingers but it has some friction. Hang the bullet out a long ways and chamber it and close the bolt gently. Then carefully withdraw the cartridge and measure the length..it should be very close to your max overall length. Hopefully the bolt has pushed the bullet to the rifling and not much further as you closed the bolt. You should probably deduct about .010" from the length you got as the bullet probably went into the rifling slightly.
You should take several measurements and make sure they repeat themselves as sometimes the bullet sticks a bit when you withdraw it. With some practice you will get a feel for just how much friction there should be and you will get more confident in what you are doing.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
woodford wrote:
quote:
I've read somewhere that it should be 0.050" off the band(s).

Actually, it's 0.050 off the lands.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Oops...I forgot: The relief grooves do not have to be in the case and non-visible. It is perfectly fine for them to show and has no detrimental affect on anything.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 60.0g h4831sc with those 130's my Tikka T3 loves it.

Warning: Trespassers will be shot.......survivors will be shot again...........

Posts: 92 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
One of my 270s likes 55.5gr H4350 and this same bullet. It does not matter if any of the relief grooves are visible after you seat the bullet.

You need to buy a gauge that tells you how far out a bullet can be seated in YOUR rifle to start seating them properly off the Lands.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
+1 on H4831SC in the .270 win but mine likes 59 grns under it's 130 bullets.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote