New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum primer for a 270?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have quite a few packs of Federal 215 and Winchester magnum primers. Can I use these in a 270? Any drawbacks to using this combo? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can. Use the the normal starting procedure at a lower powder charge and work up. Like always, watch for sticky bolt lift and hard case extraction - assuming you are using a bolt action. If not just watch for anything out of the norm compared to previous loads.
Years ago, I used nothing but Federal 215 primers in my 270 and 22-250.
I honestly couldn't tell any difference between those and non-magnum primers in any of my bolt action rifles. I still shoot some ammo loaded up with Winchester LR Mag. and Fed. 215 primers on occasion. Works fine.
Just "work up" the load.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the response. Thank you

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you hunt in very cold weather with ball powders your are probably doing yourself a favor with magnum primers.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use Magnum Primers in my .270Win. The Fed215 are renown for low standard deviation and accurate groupings. Never had any misfires on the Federal Primers.