New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 load
 Login/Join

<pigman>
posted
I plan to test some loads today at the range. I have loaded a 350 grain Hornady round nose with 51, 52, and 53 grains of reloader 7. I am shooting a brand new Browning High wall with the 28 inch barrel. Does anyone else have any results with a simular load that I might use for camparison. I am looking for the one with the best grouping. I am expecting quite a bit of recoil.

<eldeguello>
posted
I use more of the same powder, Re7. For example, in my Ruger No. 1, I use 60 grains of Re 7 with the Barnes 400 grain spitzer, and 63 grains with the Barnes 300 grain spitzer. The muzzle velocities of these loads are 2270 and 2490 feet per second respectively, chronographed from my rifle. The 400 grain load is a 1.5 MOA load, but the 300 grain is not too accurate. I have not gotten too much accuracy in my rifle from any 300 grain bullet, but the 350 you are going to use should be better. In addition, there is a great vertical distance between group centers for these two different weight loads. But these are STRICTLY hunting loads, NOT TARGET OR FUN LOADS!! The recoil is "punishing", but the pressures are safe in strong actions like the Ruger or Browning High-wall. If you decide to try them, work up from at least five grains below, and stop when the recoil tells you to quit!! Another good load in my rifle is the Lyman 457122HP, which casts from my mould, using wheelweights, at 342 grains. I use 60 grains of Re 7 and an inverted gascheck over the powder with this bullet, for a muzzle velocity of 2364 feet per second. This load produces only 4 (!!) feet per second variation from fastest to slowest speeds!! Very accurate and powerful!!

<pigman>
posted
The results are in the load with 51 grains of powder resulted in all holes touching a 50 yards. The 52 grain load was not as good. The 53 grain load was about 2 inches higher than the others and the groups were fair. The recoil was brutal to say the least especialy with the 53 grain load. I really didn't want to shoot them but did any way. I was glad that the 51 grain load had the best groups. I may experiment further with 51.5 and 52 grains just to make sure that recoil wasn't the reason that the higher levels didn't group as well.