New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing primers
 Login/Join

<csj>
posted
Is there a safe way to remove unfired primers from empty brass?

Thanks,

cj

<Don G>
posted
csj,

I don't know how safe it is, but I just put on a padded winter coat, goggles and gloves and have at it just like they were fired. I have never had one go off. I have probably done a couple hundred in thirty years. I use a universal decapper from RCBS that gives plenty of open space to vent the gas down around the outside of the cartridge case.

WD40 has a reputation for killing primers, but I would still wear protection.

Don

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Like Dan, I've been removing live primers for years and have yet to have one go off. I prefer removing them in a universal decapper because of all the extra space in there in the event of detonation, but I've removed them in a regular sizing die as well with no problem. A friend on another forum conducted a test whose results he documented relating to "killing" the primers. He soaked several different makes in WD40 and several other solvents and penetrants. Most primers were unaffected and still fired after a couple of days of soaking. As best I recall there was one brand that was affected but I don't recall which it was. The conclusion was that it had something to do with the sealants used at conclusion of the manufacturing process.

Even if a primer does detonate in a die, if you remain aware of the direction in which the gases well go, you can avoid any problem. I truly don't think it's as dangerous as many make it out to be. I've exploded primers in my youth by striking them with a hammer. Wouldn't do it now and I wouldn't recommend it, but it's not that big a deal. Use a die gently, keep away from the top of the die or the spent primer drop where the gases would go and you'll be OK.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<cs>
posted
A tip that I picked up is to wrap a towel or a rag around the press and just take it easy. I have never had one go, but with my luck I try to play it safe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have punched a bunch of them out without a problem....I don't know how dangerous it is but there isn't a lot of explosive there and it will take a route of least resistence which is stright down...go figure!!

But your on your own when you partake in such exercises I suppose...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
And if all this sage advice does not satisfy you as to the fact that it can be done safely..well just chamber the brass and drop a firing pin on em. Then they can be removed as fired.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have removed many, and have never had one go off. However, a primer does have enough power to drive a bullet half way down the barrel, so I make sure that I do it so as to not confine the gasses of one goes off. I whacked off the long side of an extra length allen wrench, and ground down one end to fit through the primer hole. I put the brass on something solid, with a hole for the primer to fall into, hold the homemade punch with needle nose pliers so as to keep fingers out of the way, and just knock them out with a hammer.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really safe?

I remove unfired primers more gently than I do the fired ones. I haven't had one go off yet, BUT:

Since the press I use (lee reloader, their mini Cframe) for this sends the primers out the back of the ram and into the houseing, away from me I don't see what difference it could make.

Many presses (ie. rockchucker) send the primers out the front of the ram and straight at the operator. This encourages holding the hand in front of the ram and has been reported to imbed the primer into the flesh. (is matt here?)

As to a decapping die versus a normal resizeing die, on my dies the decapping pin nearly seals the flash hole so I expect the energy to push the primer out fairly fast, regardless which one I use.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
csj,

We must have removed literally thousands of live primers through the years, and never had one go off.

The only time I remember a primer going off was when I first started reloading, using the Lee Loader.

You might remember that you had to use a mallet to "hammer" the case onto the primer.

I've had a few blow then, but no harm has come out of it.

On the subject of killing off primers. We ran a test to see what might happen with WD40 and other oils.

It does not take much to kill a primer if there is a small hole in the paint that is normally put on them.

Primers with complete coverage seem to survive being soaked for 24 and still fire.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67043 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
I do the live primer thing. Do not like it, but I wear safety glasses. Never had one go off. A single primer going off is not as much as some may think, just make sure that you do not have any other primers or gunpowder on the bench when you run this operation. I feel that the majority of serious cases where "a primer went off" were only serious because they were able to get a larger explosion going.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't put any oil in your cases. That will make a mess later when you try to load them. You would spend more on solvent to clean them than the primers are worth. Are you trying to salvage the primers?? Why?.... they are relatively cheap. I would pop them before I decapped them.

The Rock Chucker press has a nice smooth ramp in the ram to facilitate the primers coming out smoothly. It ends up directing the primer toward you belly or worse, depending where you sit. There is a lot of energy in primers. When I was a kid I set one off in a primed case with a big nail and a hammer. Put the case in the vice and whamoo! Well the flash hole must have been blocked. The primer cup penetrated my thumb to the bone. Had to have it surgically removed. Getting back the ramp on the Rockchuckar press, if one did go off, you could get shot in the gut or groin. Wouldn't you look silly trying to explain how you shot your nether regions to an Emergency Room Doctor, or even worse permanently impairing it's function. I know the odds of such a synerio are slim but, why take such an unnecessary risk?

I THINK I WILL POP MINE IN THE RIFLE,
thank you very much!!

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 08-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 08-01-2001).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<csj>
posted
Saving the primers is not the issue. I could care less about the primers, I just want to resize the brass. The brass in my opinion is worth saving if possible. Obviously not at the expense of injury but at $3 a case I am looking for a safe alliterative���

Chris

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Proceed with caution, as with the others, I've removed a few, and gasp, even re-used them. Never popped one while removing them, and they all fired when re-used.

I also set a few off as a kid, favorite trick was a wire loop holder over a candle. Place primer on loop, light candle, then run quickly away. They have a suprisingly loud report for something so small, and would drive the primer cup into the wax a little ways.

Amazing all of us made it through childhood huh?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<harry55>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Don G:
csj,

I don't know how safe it is, but I just put on a padded winter coat, goggles and gloves and have at it just like they were fired. I have never had one go off. I have probably done a couple hundred in thirty years. I use a universal decapper from RCBS that gives plenty of open space to vent the gas down around the outside of the cartridge case.

WD40 has a reputation for killing primers, but I would still wear protection.

Don

I like to add my 2 cents. I have reloaded for over 40 years. Here is what I do. My RCBS press has 2 small holes in the frame where the auto primer feed is suppose to attach. I cut a piece of PLEXIGLASS about 6X6 in. drilled 2 holes in it to line up with the 2 holes of the frame. Attached the plexiglass with 2 small machine screws and found it gives good protection. Since you seat or punch the (live primers ) out on the up-stroke the glass doesnt have to be that big. I never had on go off, but it gives me
peace of mind. I think that the priming compound needs a heavy blow or heat to explode. About 20 or so years ago some young movie actor,by the name of HEXUM took a hand-gun that was loaded with BLANKS containing only a primer held it up to his temple and pulled the trigger. Yes it killed him. You can tell the impact of a primer by shooting a cartridge with only a primer into a white cardboard.You will see a lot of spatter, which will do your face no good> Harry55