New
Find
Notify
Tools

200 yd. zero v.s. point blank range
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hope this is the right forum to post this question. I have been shooting for over 35 years and have used both systems. Lately I use the PBR system as it seems easier for me. I shoot many different rifles and calibers and if they are all set up using PBR with that index number taped to the scope, I can feel comfortable shooting out to 300 yards. I use my PACT chronograph to compute PBR and it seems to be accurate and reproducible. I have been asked by shooters at the range which system is best. I would like some input from serious hunters on this matter. What are the pro's and con's of each system?
If my PBR is 275yds then I know that I will have to aim just under the back to hit the sweet spot. Out to 275 yds. I aim dead on.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With my rifle/ammo a 200 yd zero puts me 1.5 high at 100 and 3" low at 255yd (-6.75 at 300 FWIW), where the PBR methiod gives me +1.6@100, +3@145, zero @250, and 3" low at 294yd (-3.5@300 FWIW).
Before I picked up my Shepherd, I used PBR because it ment I kept the same aiming point on a deer as long as it was within the range I was willing to shoot to.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sight them all in at 200 yards. That way I can hold dead on out to 200 and if it is 300, just about every caliber will between 5 and 9 inchws low. I then just hold on the backbone and let er rip. Speed of fire is not often the case at that range cause if you can see 300 yards, you have more than enough time to get a solid rest and range the animal.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do the same thing only I use the BPR as a reference. I do not see much of a difference but some at the range do. Is there any empirically discernable difference?

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote