New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchmark in .243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used benchmark in their .243win, i saw something about it and wondered if any of you guys have ever used it. If so, could you post your load data and results. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used it in several loads, in several rifles....

Threw the bullets all over the place....in all loads and rifles...

Good luck if you try it and I hope you have better luck than I experienced....

These groups were not bad, they were horrible!.... 3 & 4 inches at 100 yds.....with no patterns from targe to target....

seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey RemLover, I've not tried Benchmark in my 243Wins. I generally use slower powders in mine with excellent results.

Have used benchmark in the 223Rem and it is the most accurate Powder going for my rifle. H322 and H4895 were about tied for "best accuracy" in it until I tried Benchmark and it seemed to create slightly "rounder" groups. But, any of those 3 work well for me.

I seem to remember seeing a post where someone mentioned Benchmark worked great in a 308Win, but I've not tried it there either.

If you look at the profile of a 223Rem and a 308Win, you will notice the "proportions" are quite similar, which is simply an observation on my part, not a rule-of-thumb. With that in mind though, I find what typically works well in one of these works right well in the other.

But, when you slide a 243Win in the group, it becomes apparent the Neck isn't in proportion to the other two. And since it is based on the 308Win case, as the neck size is reduced, you normally get the best performance with powders slightly slower than those in the 308Win.
---

Simply as an example which can be different for everyone, when I use bullets on the light end of the 243Win, I like H380 with 70gr-75gr bullets. In the 308Win on the light end, I prefer IMR-4064 or Varget with a 150gr bullet.

Now, as I increase the bullet weights in each, the powders change to slower burn rates. For example a 90gr bullet in the 243Win is just excellent with H450(no longer available) and a 165gr bullet in the 308Win does extremely well with the H380 that works so well with the lighter bullets in the 243Win.
---

After all that sermon, the only way to know how Benchmark will work "in your rifle" is to try it. Be sure to let us know how well it does for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote