Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding proper bushing die size
 Login/Join

posted
I am loading for a 6.5X284 using the redding bushing dies and lapua brass. A loaded round has a neck size of .295. What is the correct bushing size to get? I called redding and they told me .297, that can't be right!?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 to 3 thou. smaller then a loaded ctg. neck diameter.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Somebody added instead of subtracted. Get a 294 and a 295.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.294 or .295 will more than likely be too big.
.292 or .293 will be closer to what you want if your necks are truely .295.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding Tech Page has 2 articles about choosing bushing size. They used to suggest about .002" below loaded loaded neck diameter. These days, they are down to 0.001" below loaded neck diameter. I believe part of that change has to do with an attempt to minimize runout in loaded rounds.

In BR, there is a belief that N133 shoots best with quite a bit of neck-tension. So using bushings .002-.003 below loaded neck diameter is the order of the day.

Bushings can get pretty expensive if you have to buy 3-4 just to see which one works best. I try to get the cheaper steel bushings, and when I find the size that works, I upgrade that one to the TîN coated version. Not eaxctly cheap, but there it is...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:
.294 or .295 will more than likely be too big.
.292 or .293 will be closer to what you want if your necks are truely .295.
It is the way I will buy theirs bushings...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote