New
Find
Notify
Tools

disparity: new VS once fired...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New 9mm and 40 S&W brass is rather spendy.
Once fired, you can buy it everywhere for 3-4 cents.

Since any defective brass destructs upon firing, why is the market around scrap brass price?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If you are inquiring about scrap brass prices then it gets a stock rating of "HOLD"

Scrap brass, copper, steel and aluminum prices are at a 10 year low

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
why is the market around scrap brass price?

supply and demand

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ted,

you couldn't tell by the price of new ammunition...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Ain't that the truth

Same goes for components

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairly simple. When components got scarce, the vendors learned just how much folks were willing to pay for ammo and components. And so they aren't gonna cut prices until folks stop buying.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing a few more sales showing up, but with the recent crap from the California legislature I fear another panic could be in the works. Then there's the US election ...

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah well, what ever the reason I have several thousand rounds of Federal nickel once-fired 9mm fired at the FBI/Homeland Security range stashed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several thousand once fired primers for sale at fire sale prices!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can beat any offer you make. When I started shooting IPSC many years ago, I bought an SDB. Out of habit, I just dumped the spent primers in a 3lb coffee can. I have two full ones, and a bit of a third.

Best cash offer by Monday gets them all. Does not include shipping.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is because 40 and 9mm are used by police departments and other govt agencies, and the supply is plentiful.
I have a friend who gives me a few hundred rounds every month and I do not reload .40s. Nor own one.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It is because 40 and 9mm are used by police departments and other govt agencies, and the supply is plentiful.
I have a friend who gives me a few hundred rounds every month and I do not reload .40s. Nor own one.

+ 1 when I moved I gave away thousands of 9mm and 40s and still have thousands left.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
318 "my wife tells me" 9mm empties on a board hanging in our kitchen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
High Five! to the wife...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason the once-fired brass is so cheap is because it takes alot of extra time prepping the brass. I had never bought once fired brass until I got a 45 GAP last year. New brass was very expensive and choices were limited, so I decided to give used brass a try.

I bought 5000 pieces for 6 cents a piece. A big box of very dirty brass arrived and I had some work ahead of me. First, I had to sort out about 150 pieces of 9mm, 40SW, and 45 acp that were mixed in. Another 200 pieces were bent or otherwise damaged beyond use. I then sorted apart about 1500 pieces of nickel. I had to tumble the brass for a long time because it was so dirty. Then came the steps of depriming, resizing the brass, primer sizing and cleaning, and checking the case length.

That was a significant amount of work to save about 20 cents per piece, but I'm now glad I did it. The brass looks almost new and when loaded up with 200 grain Hornady HAP bullets that I bought in bulk, I have a nice supply of loaded bullets for for about 27 cents a round. I bought and loaded a few hundred 200 grain Speer Gold Dots for self-defense rounds at total of about 43 cents a round.

I might buy once-fired brass again, but I think next time I'll buy a common caliber, like 9mm, instead. Buying fully loaded 9mm rounds for cheaper than I was able to load 45 GAP myself sounds good Smiler