THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Found my magic load, I think.....................

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found my magic load, I think.....................
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
At the range this past week end I shot a four shot group with my 257 Rbt. Imp, it is on a 1910 Mexican Mauser action with a light weight 21 inch barrel and synthetic stock. I usually load 5 rounds of a given load and shoot a 5 shot group but this time I started with a cold, clean barrel so the first round was just a fouler shot. The remaining 4 rounds went into a one hole group measuring as best I could of .279. That load was with Rem. cases, Win LR primers, Rem. 100 gr. Pspcl and 48 gr. of IMR 4350, Nosler book says it should be going just a bit over 3000 fps.That is a mid range load from Nosler but it is about 3 gr. over Max in the Hornady book. There were no visible pressure signs. I am going to try it again the next time out, hope the results are close to the same. One time before I shot a 5 shot group with my Ruger RSI 250 Savage at 200 yds that looked like the 5 on a die and measured just over 1 1/2 inch, with witnesses. Using the same gun, brass, primer, powder, bullet and virtually the same weather conditions the next weekend I shot a 5 shot group measuring 5-6 inches at 200 yds. Must be a loose nut behind the but.

Steve E............

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
SOunds like you've got a shooter. As far as vel. though, if you are shooting a 21"bbl. you are going to loose about 100fps from the 24"bbl. used by Nosler, even @ that it's just a guess. Next time you're @ the range & someone has a chrono. set up, ask if they'' run a shot over the screens for you. I do it all of the time for people.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Yeah I thought it would be something like 150 fps lower. I have a Chrono but the range where I go most of the time is too steep to set one up and shoot through it cause one rule there is your bullets have to go into the backstop. I'll get to the other range sometime in the near future and try it. Maybe I'll repeat it again or at least get close.
Never have been able to come close to my 200 yds group with the 250 Savage Ruger RSI again. I have high hopes for the 257 Robt Imp though.

Steve E........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not suprized it's IMR 4350. I've burned a lot of powder in the bob, and IMR's 4350, as well as their 4064, have always done the best in my old Ruger.

45.5 grains IMR 4350 along with the excellent 100 grain Nosler ballistic tip, was just like Ken Waters said -excellent.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I got the barrel from one of the Forums online through their Classified section, don't remember which one now(Damn CRS). It came from a fellow in Kalifornia that dows smithing on the weekend and his days off from working on an oil rig offshore. He said it was one that Kimber used to put on the Mauser actions. Don't know if it's so or not but if it is does anyone know who the manufacturer might be? Thanks for any info.

Steve E........