New
Find
Notify
Tools

Max Load H380 22-250 55gr....35.5 OR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've found some interesting ranges in various reloading manuals for H380 and 55gr. bullets.

Nosler #4= starting load 31.5 max load 35.5

Hogdon annual reloading manual (last years) max starting load 38 max load 41

Lee manual starting load 32.9 max load 37

The actual canister of 380 has a max load of 37 on the label..

My ancient "Metallic Cartridge Reloading 2nd Ed." says starting load 34.5 max load 38

I thought maybe the Hodgdon annual was a one time typo but that's the max load (41gr) that's on the website as well!

In the Hodgdon description of H380 it says that the name came from 38gr producing one hole groups for Bruce Hodgdon using a 52.gr bullet in a 22-250....

Your thoughts?

So what gives? I haven't really studied this, but I can't remember seeing that kind of range on other cartridges......

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they all used different barrels for testing. I often find large differnces between sierra nad nosler,...so I pick a low load,.work up,.and look for pressure. I am sure you have seen rifles in the past start to shoot past the max load depending on COL,..so it is just one of those hit and miss things. I have found H870 to be one of the most varying powders in load data,..often by MANY grains.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure some of that has to do with the load bearing surface of the bullet on the case neck. Clark will have to explain that if this catches his eye.

I use a fair amount of H 380. I am surprised it is not more popular. I am sure it is also having to do with these loads, and the pressure is not listed.

Case in point, for a 243 with a 60 grain bullet, some thing like 44 or 45 grains is all that is listed as max. However a Remington 700 was still not being very accurate. So I loaded up cases going up 1/2 grain incriments and when I got to 50 grains of H 380, I got a 5 shot one hole group. Loaded those cases 5 times with same results and no pressure problems indicated.

A few of our resident, arm chair ballistic "experts" were telling me I was going to blow up my rifle and myself and potentially hurt someone. I was being called an idiot but some point blank. Then all of a sudden I pointed out that Nosler recommended up to 53 grains for their 55 grain Ballistic tip.

Well since a major company like Nosler was even over my loads by 3 grains, with no pressure problems, then all the critics just quietly faded away.

All I can say, is you have 35.5 grains on the low parameter and 41 grains on the high end. Pick a spot and work up if you want to see the limits in your rifle.

Cheers and Good shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Case in point, for a 243 with a 60 grain bullet, some thing like 44 or 45 grains is all that is listed as max. However a Remington 700 was still not being very accurate. So I loaded up cases going up 1/2 grain incriments and when I got to 50 grains of H 380, I got a 5 shot one hole group. Loaded those cases 5 times with same results and no pressure problems indicated.

IMO, if one always develops loading data for his/her own rifle using this approach, it makles no difference at all what all the "experts" or loading manuals may say, since every rifle is an individual......