Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman-- vs -- RCBS
 Login/Join

posted
I am wanting to get into reloading.... Mainly for now .270 , .308 , 7mm , .243 .......
As of now I know little bout reloading.......
Got a Cabela's Reloading catalog in the mail today........ They have a RC Supreme Master Kit for $260.00..item # XP-21-4924
And a Lyman Expert Kit $245.00..item # XP-21-3699
I think same stuff as above except comes with a free die set.... and case trimmer... its a T-mag 11 press

Whatcha think..........

Thanks...... [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 10 | Location: South Louisiana | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
coon,

RCBS has been the standard for the last forty years or so. That's the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Savage 99. In a choice between RCBS and Lyman, unless you know the equipment well and have a specific and knowledgable reason to go with Lyman, choose the RCBS tools.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I like RCBS

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coonass--So far,the responses have been unanimous for RCBS and I'll ditto that. Why? You'll not hear anything bad about their customer service,you have a problem,it's their problem and they take care of you. Not only that,their equipment is very good. The Rockchucker press is top of the line best I can tell--mines only 35 or so years old,so I can't say how well they hold up. You mentioned some bottle neck cases you'll be doing so you need a press that will handle them. Get the RCBS Rockchucker and never look back.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey CA,

I agree with the Rock Chucker......Natchez has the same kit on sale for $234.95. Here is the link: Natchez Link-RCBS

Bob C.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,,,,,,,,,, The RCBS it is.........

BOB ,,,,,Thanks for the link ,

Posts: 10 | Location: South Louisiana | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great choice. Don't forget to get some spray resising lube for the cases. It is easier to use than the pad for a beginner.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coonass, I agree with RCBS. I have both Lyman and RCBS, and it's all very good equipment. RCBS has much better customer service!

Get catalog (or visit online) MidSouth Shooters Supply, Midway USA, Graf and Sons, Nachez, and others. Plenty of links on the links page at castpics. http://www.castpics.net/links.htm

Also, you may want to visit National Reloading Manufacturers Association (link also on castpics). sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 Lyman T-Mag presses [1986-7] and a 1970 ventage RCBS Rock Chucker. Both are good presses, for general purpose use. The Rock Chucker is better for case forming. I bought all my stuff one piece at a time over 33 years, so I can't help on the kit[s].

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Lyman T Mag is the best turret press that there is. I have much of both but my vote in presses is Lyman.

Posts: 22 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
RCBS

You could drive a truck over the Rochchucker and it would still work fine [Smile]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three Feathers--I've never used a turret press. I've heard they are really just a place to store your dies. Do you find that they increase speed?

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
Three Feathers--I've never used a turret press. I've heard they are really just a place to store your dies. Do you find that they increase speed?

I bought mine because it was on sale for less than anything new in the store the day I went in to buy my press. Its an "Orange Crusher" with six stations. Faster? I guess you save a minute or two between load changes, but I recheck everything anyway. I don't think its faster.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
$200+ for a kit, huh? And to think when I started reloading, the press was $9; dies $5, scale $5, powder $3, 100 sierra 53 match $3. Maybe not rcbs but all new.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS...Lymans stuff has NOT impressed me...at all..sakofan..Though, I do have a Lymans micrometer thats ok.

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload for 11 different centerfire calibers and honestly feel that none of the reloading manufacturers can hold a candle to Redding. I have used RCBS presses and RCBS and Lyman dies. There's nothing wrong with either. Both perform well, but I feel Redding is in a class by itself. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have mostly RCBS with a mix of Redding and Lee stuff. I really like the RCBS. I bought my Rockchucker used. I started with the Partner kit and wanted bigger press a few years later. Check eBay, you may find a deal on a kit there.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes the T Mag is faster. I also have a Rockchucker which is solid. I use it for my black powder 45/70 because I don't change anything. I have it down so well for my T Mag that I can do a legitimate 150 rounds an hour. I enjoy loading so this is enough for me. If it ever gets tedious I'll go to a Dillon 550.

Posts: 22 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not been that impressed with my Lyman gear. Redding and RCBS are probably the better - albeit more expensive - brands.

Don't get your reloading set from Cabela's unless you have shoppped around quite a bit and you are sure that Cabela's really has the best price (rarely happens!).

It is easy to start out with a kit, because it just gets you more or less what you need in one go. Unfortunately, not all items are made equally well by all manufacturers. Case in point: I'd much rather have the Redding powder measure than the RCBS. The Rockchucker on the other hand is a good press. The Lee hand-priming tool is a never-ending success! Ah well, you'll learn this over the years to come. Good luck with your new hobby!

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote