New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 7mm Dakota loads!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys my custom 7mm Dakota is arriving in a week and I need some good loads preferably with heavier bullets 160grs and up? And if you guys have the velocities can please post them.
Thank you
elmer

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had Dakota rechamber my Ruger #1 for 7mmDakota, great round. I feel it's slightly more efficient than the STW & a much better choice than the 7mmRUM. I settled on the 160grNP as my goto load for everything.
I worked w/ RL22 & IMR7828. I setteld on IMR7828, it was more repeatable, accuracy & vel. were good for both. I would like to try some RL25. Being a bit slower, I might squeeze a bit more vel. out of it but the IMR7828 works really well. Work upto this load but it's not max. in my rifle.
73gr IMR7828, FLRM, 160grNP @ 3.310" OAL. Vel. is 3250fps+ & will shoot just under 1 MOA w/ consistancy. 72.5gr or RL22 is about the same w/ a tiny bit better accuracy, but vel. swing pretty large from lot to lot. At 3250fps, it's plenty flat shooting & does well out to 400yds in the wind. The Speer 160gr makes a cheaper practice bullet & hits pretty close to POI of the 160grNP, but about 60fps slower. I haven't even tried the lighter bullet wts. The 160gr shoots so well, I just don't see much advantage to a lighter bullet. Maybe a BArnes TSX in the 140gr wt. could take the high vel. impact but I think 160gr-175gr premiums are the way to go w/ the bigger 7mags. I've taken a small bull elk, antelope & a Hym. Tahr w/ the 160grNP, all one shot, but nothing farther than about 150yds.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote