Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum vs Regular primers on 300 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
I have seen data using regular large rifle primers and magnum primers in the 300 WSM. For accuracy is ther any benifit in using a CCI 250 vs CCI 200?

Posts: 21 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester WLR primers with all powders and bullet weights. No problems.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You generally use Magnum primers with ball powders. This is true in any case or caliber.

Posts: 37 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I usually try both & see wich give more concistant results.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Browning A-Bolt in 300WSM likes Large Rifle primers better than Magnum primers. Velocities are more consistent shot to shot and the groups are generally tighter.

Posts: 12 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I tried several different weights from 125 up to 180 in my new Savage BVSS 300 WSM with RL 19 powder. The 125 gr I used to get the scope on. After one acope adjustment, I two holed my second and third shots at 100 yrds. I tryed some old 165 GR partitions and they sprayed out to about a 2" patern. Pattern for a three shot string was 1 1/8 using factory winchester 180 SP ammo. I have not used my chronigraph yet but 68 GR RL19 under a 180 Gr SP works real well using CCI 250 primers. This gun weighed 10 pounds before I put on the scope and has a 26" fluted stainless barrel.

Posts: 21 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are using stick ( not ball ) powder , try the WLR
( Win. large rifle )
I have had very good luck with them in 300WSM.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used only wlr primers in my Browning 300 WSM. Other than once when I tried a load that specified a magnum primer.

Remember that the short and fat theory is that the shorter powder column will burn easier with the big area in the bottom of the case. Also becuase the powders are in the medium burn rate, they will be more easily ignited.

Long, skinny columns of slow and ultra slow powders need a hot magnum primer to get it burning.

I have some very consistant loads, low extreme spreads and standard deviations using standard primers.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote