New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced Loads Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to work up some reduced loads for my .223, and I want to use jacketed bullets. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea, other than the possibility of getting one stuck in the barrel? I want to load them to ~1800 fps (22 Mag velocities), and I think that's plenty to push one out with; I really don't want to go any slower.

I have some Unique powder but wouldn't object to trying Blue Dot, which I've read that Calhoun uses. Also, would you recommend standard small rifle primers? I use CCI #400 for my "standard" loads w/varget. Lastly, would you use fillers of any type for this? I've heard of people using it for .30-06 loads because of the bigger case, but the reduced cast bullet loads in my "One Book - One Load" manual don't mention it.

The bullets I was going to use are 35gr Noslers, and the rifle is a NEF single shot. If I do accidentally create a "squib" load it's a simple matter of looking through the breech end to see whether there's a bullet stuck in it.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The squib load will block the escapement of supersonic gas and there will be no bang. If you hear no bang, do not shoot again without checking. At a crowded range, this can be a problem to hear, so check that you made a hole in the target or look in the bore, until you are confident in the load.

If you get a squib load [my seat of the pants guess at threshold is 3 gr jacketed 1 gr lead], put oil between the rod and bullet so the bullet is pounded out by hydraulic pressure. Otherwise, the bullet can wedge in place and really get stuck.

35 gr should work well with up to 18 gr of Blue Dot, but would use 15 gr.
For Unique, I would stay between 10 and 13 gr, my preference being for 10 gr.
I like to load low, incase a bullet is seated long and there is a pressure spike.
Any small rifle primer will work fine.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Suggest that all brass used for your reduced loads be kept separate.

I worked up a reduced load for 30-06 and found that the firing pin (Mod 70) pushed the case forward with suffiecient force to gradually move the case shoulder back, creating excessive headspace. This could be a problem if case(es) were then reloaded to full pressure.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkI've gone as low as 10gr. Blue Dot but with heavier bullets. AT 2000FPS. The bullets aren't going to open up much and the heavier bullets will give you a slower veocity if that's what you want. beerroger

Seafire has a lot of info,

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hm1996:
Suggest that all brass used for your reduced loads be kept separate.

I worked up a reduced load for 30-06 and found that the firing pin (Mod 70) pushed the case forward with suffiecient force to gradually move the case shoulder back, creating excessive headspace. This could be a problem if case(es) were then reloaded to full pressure.

Regards,
hm

This is the reason why it is always recommended to use a batch of cases for cast bullet shooting only once they have been used for that purpose......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the reason why it is always recommended to use a batch of cases for cast bullet shooting only once they have been used for that purpose......

Never loaded cast bullets; had to learn this one the hard way. Frowner Fortunately, I use a case gauge regularly in my loading process and discovered with the gauge rather than in a rifle.

Regards,
hm

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys; I appreciate the input.

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite reduced load which is super accurate is 9 gr Unique with 40gr Sierra Hornet. Sholud be moving around 2600fps. I only use standard primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing, no fillers.

posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you PM B17G (Seafire).
I am using his Bluedot loads with great success.

Posts: 21 | Location: Slaughter, LA | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
Click here, scroll to bottom of page... "Reduced Loads"

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223rem.html

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The primer pushes the case forward, with a light load it stays there. That is why primers push back in light loads in a chamber with headspace.
Jacketed bullets have to be kept faster than around 600 fps or they will stick.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
The primer pushes the case forward, with a light load it stays there. That is why primers push back in light loads in a chamber with headspace.
Good luck!

Interesting point.

I had always thought it was the firing pin which drove the case forward, but primer doing so does make sense.

"In the interest of science", as a gunsmith friend of mine used to say, I placed a LC 67 case (once fired in my pre-64 Mod. 70) back in the rifle after measuring it to be .0024" over (+) zero in headspace micrometer. After snapping the trigger, it measured +.0015, 2nd snap= minus(-).002, once more = -.004, and again = -.005. This in a CRF rifle, suspect the shrinkage would have been greater in a push feed and probably would have been even greater with a live primer, as hawkins said.

Regards,
hm