New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade Brass Tumbler?
 Login/Join

<Tomjones>
posted
Seems like I saw a How-To on making a case polisher. I think it was the vibrator type, but I don't remember. Seems like it should be rather easy to do a tumbler or a polisher, especially for less than what they sell for. Anyone have any plans?

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
My tumbler is 10" PVC pipe, 1/2 inch rod, 3/4 inch plywood old Xerox machine motor, coupla pulleys and some assorted lumber.

Motor was 7 bucks and the pillow block bearings 15 bucks apiece. If I had it to do over I would use Oilite bearings and replace as needed!

LouisB

I can tumble 2-3 large coffee cans of brass in a load!

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not ragging on ya TC. But for the money you have in your invention you could have bought a new Vibratory Tumbler from Midway.
I do admire your resourcefulness!

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
[QB]
If I had it to do over I would use Oilite bearings and replace as needed!
QB]

Years ago a friend was complaining the ball bearing in his homemade rock vibrator kept boiling the grease out.

I had just went thru a problem with oil overheating in electric fans. I suggested he wash the grease out of the ball bearings and replace it with 5-30 mobil 1. He did and told me they run great with the mobil 1.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
You mean like this one ??? [Cool]

-

-

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
ttt

<Tomjones>
posted
Yeah, Wingnut, that looks like it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is where you saw it but there is a site called buildgear.cjb.net that has lots of cool things including a tumbler.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wingnut,
How does one post any photos on this forum?????
Rick

Posts: 47 | Location: California | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
First, go to an internet photo hosting site like "www.hunting-pictures.com" or "www.trophy-photos.com".There are others, too. Follow the onsite directions to register your account and upload your photos. When you get your photos up, remember or "edit, copy" the address.

Then, type your message on the forum. Where you want your photo to appear, type "[img][/img]". Don't use the quotation marks ("), they are just for clarity here.

Then place the photo's address between the "[img]"(start image) and the "[/img]"(end image).

[ 01-14-2003, 00:08: Message edited by: wingnut ]

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
I didn't get the plan from anyone, it was COMPLETELY self-engineered and built in the summer of 1992.

Plywood box and bowl platform. Automotive springs to mount platform (the tapered spacer springs used on the rod that holds the brake shoe to the backing plate). Two springs joined at the small ends with a short bolt and nut. Short 1/4-20 bolts through a piece of fuel hose, so the hose swells when the nut is tightened, to attach springs to plywood on each end.

The motor is a refrigerator fan motor, mounted to the bowl platform with a 1/2" thick spacer to make room for the head of the through bolt which holds the bowl. The bowl is a simple bundt cake pan. (Word to the wise --- try to find one WITHOUT Teflon. Your cases will be black for years !!! Or you can have the Teflon coating sandblasted off.)

What you can't see in the photos is the counterweight which makes the whole thing work. Mounted on the motor shaft, above the cooling fan blade is a 6" X 1.5" piece of 1/4" steel. The hole is @ 3/8" from center.

The fan on this one is set to blow "up", so there are @ 20 air intake holes in the back of the box. I used a push-button switch that I already had. If I ever replace it, I will use a standard "up-down" residential light switch. The unit, even full, vibrates enough to want to slide when on and trying to turn off, if not steadied with the other hand.

Buy crushed walnut hull, or corn cob. Works great. Rice also works pretty well.

BBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT--------
Eleven years ago, a new cleaner cost @ $100, and I built this one for @ $25. Now, the parts would probably cost $50. You can buy a commercial rig from Midway or Frankford Arsenal for that.