New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tired fingers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My fingers get a little tired after prepping 100+ brass. They actually get tired after the first 20. I currently have the Lee set up for 5 different calibers. What other options are out there for doing this. If I pick up one of these case trimmers are there different set ups for each of them. Are they easy-or a big pain to set up for different calibers. (22 hornet, 223, 220 swift, 243 and 25.06) how about placing the case in the chuck? easy-pain?
Just looking for options. Finished the last 100 for the 220 the other day and my fingers are still a little sore. I have been chucking them up in the drill FYI.

thanks

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: 13 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing to throw in here. I just got off Cabelas web site. What about the Lee Zip trimmer. Has an adjustable chuck for all of the sizes and I would be able to use all of the current trimming tools I currently have.
Thoughts??

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: 13 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I like the 3 jaw chuck on it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Twig,
I use the Lee trimmer the other way around. Put the cutter and length gauge in a 3/8" drill motor or drill press and hold on to the shell holder and shell. You can leave the drill running and as you mount each case in the holder push it over the length gauge and to the cutter. After that I chamfer the mouth inside and out and lube the case neck with an old bore mop.

Lee says to mount the case holder in the drill motor but then you have to stop the drill for every case.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS Trim Mate Pretty good reviews.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey twig

I use the Lee Zip Trim.

Like Ted I also like the Universal Chuck

I mount mine on a piece of 2x4 and mount in a vise, it only takes one pull of the rope to trim the cases

Makes a good steady platform for chamfering and cleaning the case with steel wool or Flitz also

I also clean the inside of the case neck with some steel wool wrapped around a 22 caliber brush while it's there

The Lee Zip Trim is not made very well and the internal spring will break about every 1000 rounds or so. But they are cheap and I just keep another one ready to go when that happens.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Twig,
I use the Lee trimmer the other way around. Put the cutter and length gauge in a 3/8" drill motor or drill press and hold on to the shell holder and shell. You can leave the drill running and as you mount each case in the holder push it over the length gauge and to the cutter. After that I chamfer the mouth inside and out and lube the case neck with an old bore mop.

Lee says to mount the case holder in the drill motor but then you have to stop the drill for every case.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

This is the same way I've been doing it for a couple years now, cutter and case length gage chucked in the drill press, case and lock stud in your hand, it is fast, my rcbs trimmer sets gathering dust except for 2 or 3 calibers I have that Lee doesn't make a case length gage for- they won't make them custom for me either. I mentioned this on another board a couple years ago, somebody rang in with the old "not as accurate" trim length line??? couldn't prove it by me, and I've checked thousands. I have 18 of them now and it would be 20+if I could get them. I use the power Lyman case prep set in the drill press too, in/out chamfer, seems like last time I fully prepped 500 06 it took about 2 hours.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Power options are trully the way to go, nothing beats the Lee case trimmers IMO, inexpensive and they work well for trimming, chamfering and deburring as well, the ball handle cutter is far easier on the hands.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?11966416...catalog/casecon.html

Lyman Universal for those rounds that Lee doesn't cover

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, I am going to try flipping the Lee products around first. As for the Lee Zip trimmer. I drove by Cabelas, to busy for my likings. I like Sportsmans better, So I stopped there with the hordes of people. They did not have any. Perhaps if I put in a good word with Santa, it might happen? Thanks again for the options

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, EXCEPT the trim mate does NOT TRIM! It does a lot of the other case prep steps, but there's no way for it to trim.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
Yeah, EXCEPT the trim mate does NOT TRIM! It does a lot of the other case prep steps, but there's no way for it to trim.

Actually it will with a little help from Lee!

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23962&highlight=rcbs+trim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote