New
Find
Notify
Tools

fireforming
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a 35-30AI as has been discussed here before. i take a 30-30 case, run a 35 cal mandrel down it to neck it up, then load and shoot. comes out a 35-30AI. funny how that works out huh. anyways, it has been suggested to just load a CAST bullet in the 30-30 fairly hot and the case will come out sized to the chamber. no more sore shoulder and hands and messy lube. was told not to use a jacketed bullet as will be banging off the innards of the bbl playing hell with the lands and grooves, but a cast being so much softer will be alright. what say ye?

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also fill the case about half full or a tad less with Bullseye powder, put a tuft of tissue in the end to keep the powder in the case, load and point it straight up into the air and fire. It's said to be loud, so protect your ears. The COW method is messy I'm told.

I would not advise to shoot hot loads of cast bullets in anything that could get leaded up.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1550 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is not that hard to open them up with an expander die. For me that is. I find it far more work to fire form no matter what bullet you use. I use a Lee expander die with plugs I make myself for such things as 400 Whelen, etc.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the cast bullet will NOT be filling out the barrel and shooting just fine.
If you think the jacketed one will make a mess of things you'll find out what a mess is if you try that.

just open up enough of the neck to hold the 35 cal. bullet.
the rest will take care of itself.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
the cast bullet will NOT be filling out the barrel and shooting just fine.
If you think the jacketed one will make a mess of things you'll find out what a mess is if you try that.

just open up enough of the neck to hold the 35 cal. bullet.
if i do that the bullet will stick out so far it will jam into the lands and grooves and won't chamber
the rest will take care of itself.

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A half full case of Bullseye seems a lot, and a little scary to me..

I use 10 grs of Unique, or 5 grs of bullseye, a wad of tissue to hold the powder down, fill the case iwth cornmeal or whatever, rice..Just enough solid wax in the case neck to hold it all together, and just shoot..It will fully form the shoulder on any ackley wildcat, if not then add another gr or two.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds good. any other opinions on this method?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It is not that hard to open them up with an expander die. For me that is. I find it far more work to fire form no matter what bullet you use. I use a Lee expander die with plugs I make myself for such things as 400 Whelen, etc.

i have a metal plate in my shoulder with 3 screws holding it there. it IS that hard, for me. i use an expander plug/mandrel from sinclair and lots of lube and after 50 cases or so i swear never again. then a week later.....again

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Ray on that one, of a 1/2 full case?..... Now in all rationality, I have heard that some folks who were worried about being robbed decided to load their pistols differently. I have heard TERRIBLE tales of home break-in folks that stole a revolver that had one cylinder packed with 700X. The face is a horrible thing to lose but for thieves, I find it deserved.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
soon as the dust settles i'm gonna try that

one of us
posted Hide Post
A expander die works, but you still have to blow the shoulder out for a properly fireformed case in most instances, and that will happen the first fireing either way..Remember your case will shorten a bit either way..but further firings will allow it to lengthen to proper length. Id start with 8 grs of Hercules and work up.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use 10 grs of Unique, or 5 grs of bullseye, a wad of tissue to hold the powder down, fill the case iwth cornmeal or whatever, rice..Just enough solid wax in the case neck to hold it all together, and just shoot..It will fully form the shoulder on any ackley wildcat, if not then add another gr or two.

That's about what I do, except I use cornmeal directly over the powder, no separator, and stuff toilet paper on top of that to hold everything together. Keep the barrel pointing up. You can't fire too many rounds of this too quickly as the barrels get real hot real fast. Less than 10 rounds, cool the barrel, and off and on till all are done.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I form first and then fire.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I have to agree with Ray on that one, of a 1/2 full case?..... Now in all rationality, I have heard that some folks who were worried about being robbed decided to load their pistols differently. I have heard TERRIBLE tales of home break-in folks that stole a revolver that had one cylinder packed with 700X. The face is a horrible thing to lose but for thieves, I find it deserved.

That's what was suggested by others on another forum and I assume that they've done it. For myself I prefer to jam the bullet regardless.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1550 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A half full case of Bullseye seems a lot, and a little scary to me..

just did 45 30-30 to 35-30AI cases yesterday doing exactly that using 5 gr BE. then loaded em up with 240 gr PB cast (mine) over 30.0 gr 3031. much easier on my old shoulder than cranking down so hard on a press handle. and i've got a BIG press with a BIG handle too. a Prazipress, the 3 pillar one.