New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Super Hammerhead bullets?
 Login/Join

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Got a deal on 10 boxes of Sako Super Hammerhead cartridges. It's 30'06 180gr. stuff. How do these bullets perform on big game? Are they usually accurate? I have no experience with Sako factory ammo.

<Dutchgus>
posted
As far as I know, Sako ammo has a good reputation and is not extremely high priced. They also load their ammo with premium bullets as Nosler and Barnes. I suggest you have a look at their website www.sako.fi

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Hey, Dutchgus. Thanks for the reply. I frequent Sako's site often but cannot find a cut-away view of the Super Hammerhead. Do you know if it is partitioned, or what?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl.

The Super Hammerhead is a HPBT bullet with bonded core. I have done some tests with wet newspaipers and it lookes like it�s a bit more brittle than the old style Hammerhead. The old Hammerhead was a SPFB bonded core that bullet have really good reputation among scandinavian hunters. The old Hammerhead is discontinued.

Both the old and the new hammerhead isn�t known to have extreme precision. I can get my heavy barreled .308 Win to shoot 1,5-2" groups at 100 m pretty regular with the Super hammerhead but nothing better. The rifle puts 180 gr Norma Oryx inte .5" groups if I do my part. The groups with Super Hammerhead is good enough for most of the deerhunting here in Sweden any way.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
I just returned from the range and shot those 180grain Super Hammerheads. The groups, 3 shots/100yds., ran about 1.25"-1.5". Good enough for hunting! Thanks for the info on their construction.