New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice to Begin Reloading
 Login/Join

<JLS>
posted
I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks and it looks like a group of good people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. That said, I'll begin my first post with the word "HELP".

I've never handloaded but the recent aquisition of two rifles is leading me in this direction. One is a Ruger #1 in 45/70 and the other is a Weatherby .300 Mag. Ammo cost is a factor as is the lack of readily available 45/70 full power loads. I could use some advice regarding equipment and basically how to get started. I don't need speed or high tech gadgets, just a solid, reliable, accurate setup. I'll probably try to find good used equipment, at least in the beginning. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

<jagtip>
posted
JLS.....First piece of advice is to get a few good loading manuals and study the instructional sections on the do's and don'ts.This is very important.Don't start off half cocked.As for equipment,keep it simple and basic.Press,dies,shell holders,scale are neccesasities.Powder measure is helpful.There are lots of knick knacks in reloading that are helpful but beware of buying lots of gadgets.In the beginning,learn the craft and proceed with the basics.....Always remember that pressure is what makes it all work and that same pressure can be your enemy.Don't be over zealous in seeking peak velocity loads.Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing with reloading; is use moderate loads; not to get maximum velocity first; use neck sizing,make sure you dont have high primer;clean inside and outside of the neck of the case; make sure yours dies are very clean;follow the data from manuals;always stays within pressure limit; good luck...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Welcome. Get at least three loading manuals and study the loading procedure and how to watch for pressure signs sections. A-Square's manual has very good chapters on these topics, although I lacks much loading data. I think Sinclair International still has it. Tha Hornady and Hogdon manuals are good as well. I think that you can get instructional video's from the NRA as well.

As far as equipment goes a good press, scale & powder trickler, and a good set of calipers are required entry. Dies for your chosen calipers as well. As an add on you will eventually need a case trimmer. Check out Reddings web sit, www.redding-reloading.com , and look at their Boss Pro-Pak. It includes everything except calipers to get you started and Redding quality is second to none. Graf & Son's has very reasonable prices on equipment, I think about $180 for the aforementioned pro-pak( much better than what the Redding site quotes). Check them out at www.grafs.com . After that post any questions you have on this board... kind of like your own tech support line.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
<kwagga>
posted
Beside reading manuals look for somebody to SHOW you how to reload.

I think it's not always easy to transfer the theoreticals into practice.

Greets

Kwagga

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi JLS
My 2 cents worth.
Get yourself a LEE reloading kit.
http://www.leeprecision.com
Lee is inexpensive not cheap and is an excellent place to start.
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au

<Don G>
posted
As you can see, it's hard to get a consensus on anything but safety!

The RCBS kit is a good place to start, in my opinion. I have been using the scale, press, and powder measure I got in that kit for over 25 years. I never bought, or had to buy, any others.

I do like Redding dies, which fit the RCBS Rockchucker press as well as most others.

The main thing is to assemble your gear, read the books, then NEVER do anything that does not make perfect sense to you. Never substitute other powders in a load thinking they are "almost equivalent". H4350 vs IMR4350 comes to mind. Hodgdon and IMR powders are not the same even if the numbers match. (They are usually close.)

The rifle range or gun club is the best place to meet a fellow reloader to show you the ropes - but there are some crazies out there who have not yet succeeded in killing themselves. You might get one of those. NEVER do anything that does not make perfect sense to you. Never shoot a stranger's reloads.

Reloading is simple and safe, with just a little common sense.

Don

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
In addition to most of the above, I'll say this...if you can't find someone you feel is a suitable mentor to help you along at first, then contact the NRA for an NRA-certified instructor in your area. This is a sure-fire way to get off to a good/safe start.

RSY

p.s. Another vote for the Redding Boss Pro-Pak from Graf & Sons.

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
Get A Chronograph. This will save you time and keep you safe as you develop your loads.

ZM

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Yup, a couple of things that make it all worthwhile; as many reloading manuals as you can afford--and read them-- and a chrony. Stay away from gizzmos--elbow grease will get the work done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend lent me a book when I was thinking of getting a 45-70 had lots of good info on reloading them. You can find it at
http://www.blackpowderspg.com/
Precision shooting reloading guide is a good reference book for high power rifles. If you can wait get the books first then the equipment, the precision shooting book will help you decide what you feel you need to buy based on the different disciplines of shooting.

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JLS>
posted
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and advise. I'll be spending some time at the Dallas gun show this weekend looking at equipment and manuals. Fortunately I have a friend who reloads and has a chronograph. However, when I'm working with something that has the potential to go "BOOM" at the wrong time I prefer to learn from as many sources as possible.

Again, thank you for replying. I'll let you know how things progress.

Jim

<Reloader66>
posted
Buy a reloading manual or two or three first and read them. The first round you fire assembled by your own hands will make the hair on your neck stand. Take it slow and easy one step at a time. Always remember because your shooting a 300 weatherby magnum cartridge you do not need to drive the bullet with maximum loads. The vast majority of hunting rifles will show their best accuracy at mild to midrange loads.
Buy new unprimed brass then you can neck size and get several firings when used in the same rifle. One of the most important pieces of equipment is the case trimmer. I like Hornady dies with their seater dies special sleeve to seat the bullet. The number of makers and choices can be mind wrenching.
Buy a quality press, dies and shell holders. You don't to invest in those high priced powder scales the fifty dollar scales will do all you need and last your life time. Primer pocket cleaner, chamfer tool, flash hole deburring tool. If you decide to buy a powder measure Sinclairs sells the Harrell powder measure and they are top of the line.
Good luck and this forum will help you become a seasoned reloading expert in no time just ask.

<10point>
posted
Welcome JLS, reloading is even more fun then shooting. I second the thought about staying away from electric sizer's...ect until you become well versed in all aspect's of reloading.

Hand-case-prep tool's, hand sizer's and trimmer's, standard scale's, these will all help you get a fundamental undertsanding of handloading. Really its quite easy.

And over time you will whittle your group's down until youv achieved your rifle's accuracy potential. I think this is re-loading's biggest satisfaction. Nothing beats the confidence given when you take to the field with a "Tailor made" proven load that you can "split-X's" all day long with.

I like RCBS product's, tho I own many componants from many maker's. Learn how to find the best bullet seat for your rifle "RCBS has a screw-in micronmeter that is best for finding that" "tho they only make it in certain caliber's".

Every rifle is its own law when it comes to the most accurate load. I would start simple, useing bullets almost every rifle loves, like the gameking or a Hornady. I have found the beginning point, to seat a bullet, by first guageing and then matching, the seat of the most accurate factory load for a rifle.

And check here , for proven loads, before you spend any big money on componants. Eventually you'll be buying the BIG batches of powder,bullet's,case's, and primer's, and the saveing's will really show up.

But first you have a bit of Detective work to do, check with the guy's here, some have loaded almost all of the standard caliber's.....good luck......10

<jthessen>
posted
Valuble info is right here so follow the manuals and learn the rules in order to know when to bend a little, use the search function and in a second You will have many opinion from a lot of different sources, try to buy the best/flexible equipment from the start so You have a quality platform to start with and to grow with, In my limited experience I have nothing bad to say about RCBS, except i wish I never bought the piggyback piece of S.
Oil and primers are not a good mix.

//Jens

<Don Martin29>
posted
Most of the advice above is very good. I would not buy Lee reloading equipment. It's the basic minimum in every respect.

I started in 1953 with a Lyman Ezy Loader (a large 3 station H design) and soon bought a RCBS A2. I still use them both.

Buy quality stuff. RCBS, CH, Redding and others have made good dies over the years. The Lyman dies were not that good at all.

I have been doing business with Graf too and it's gone very well. Midway was good also. I am sure there are others.

I did not need a instructor. Sometimes your own insticts are better than others. Listen but think.

I just read a suggested load here in this forum that is dangerous. Buy more than one reloading book and check one against the other. I found the loads in the Accurate data to be WRONG. I found the loads in the Barnes manual to be too hot in some cases.

Watch out for reduced loads in cartridges like the .300 Weatherby using slow burning powders like 4831.

<OKShooter>
posted
My advice is to buy two or three good handloading manuals. I recommend Hodgdon's #27 and Speer's #13 in that order if initial cost is a great concern. Lyman's 47th Edition is a good handbook, but it is rapidly becoming dated. Hornady's 5th Edition and Nosler's #4 are also decent manuals.

Next advice is to buy good quality equipment that will retain value. The RCBS Master Reloading Kit is an excellent value and is complete with everything except shell holders, dies, and caliper. You will eventually need a good dial caliper, and suggest you buy a stainless steel one.

You might also check the New Handloader pages at www.ammoloading.com for a more detailed overview of procedures and equipment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
get a good re-loading book: Hornaday, Speer, Sierra. Read it. get a Lee Loader; get the components recommended by the instructions in the Lee Loader and go for it. Total cost, around $50.00. If you find you like it, you can then spend all the money you want on the other "goodies". In that respect, re-loading is kinda like golf.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
READ, READ, READ! Everything you can get your hands on. A lot of companies offer free basic reloading information and instructions. Start simple and slow. The loading equipment doesn't have to be expensive. I started with the Lee aniversary kit. It was about $100 and got me going. The RCBS kit is a better one for over 2x the money. I am now slowly replacing most of the Lee kit. I will keep the press and the funnel. The scale is OK but there are better ones available. The powder measure leaves alot to be desired. So, if you got the cash go with RCBS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway -1-800-243-3220- has the Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit on special for $68.99 plus shipping. It has everything you need (except the book). They have the books for sale too. In the same catalog, the rcbs partner kit is $116.99 (plus shipping) and it includes a speer book. As posted above, the rcbs is a little better and most gun shops will stock rcbs items but won't perhaps handle Lee. FYI, I have been using a rcbs jr press for almost 40 years and it is still loading ammo that is a lot better than I am a shooter.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
I second the admonition, READ, READ, READ. I suggest a subscription to Handloader magazine is helpful. The current issue has a article by Ross Seyfried about MAX loads. It seems every reloader wants to go there from time to time and, of course, some get into trouble. He does a good job of putting information in context. take care and good shooting.

<.>
posted
Reloading manuals go outdated on you. Save a HEAP of $$$ and head to the LIBRARY to check out books on reloading.

DON'T rely on old books for load data. Check book publishing date on the title page or the publishing data page -- usually opposite the title page.

Easiest to start with revolver ammo. The 38 Spl. is one of the easiest calibers to reload. Most of the work is by "eyeball."

Dont skimp on a caliper. Get stainless steel. It's a precision instrument. Keep it clean and in it's box when not in use.

Most manuals warn about loading while distracted. Turn off the television and PAY ATTENTION to the task at hand. Don't eat and load. That's a good way to get poisined.

Bottle necked brass can get tricky. Helps to have someone with a bit of experience to walk you through. Sometimes shops have classes and clinics. Keep an eye out for these. Your dealer is generally knowledgable about reloading.

------------------
This Space For Rent.